Just as Franklin Regional’s defense was turning a sharp grounder into a game-ending double play Monday, the Panthers were spilling onto the field at Penn-Trafford, pumping their fists in unison to celebrate a 6-2 Section 1-5A victory over the top-ranked Warriors.

One down, one to go.

The teams were scheduled for a rematch at Franklin Regional on Tuesday, the final day of section play with just one game separating the top four teams in Section 1.

No. 1 Penn-Trafford and No. 5 Fox Chapel were tied at 9-2 — the Foxes defeated Plum 3-0 with that series concluding Tuesday at Fox Chapel — and Franklin Regional and Plum were a game back, each at 8-3.

A Penn-Trafford victory and a Fox Chapel loss would give P-T the section title outright.

"Sure, we’re in the playoffs,” said Penn-Trafford coach Lou Cortazzo, whose Warriors reached the PIAA quarterfinals in 2023, losing to eventual champion Shaler. "But I don’t want to look forward to the playoffs. I want to take care of business here.”

Blake Bertucci drove in a pair of runs, and Max Bernadowski went 3 for 4 to power Franklin Regional’s nine-hit attack. The Panthers survived nine walks by two pitchers, but winner NJ Ramchandran (4 innings pitched, three hits) and Bertucci (3 innings pitched, one hit) also combined for nine strikeouts.

"They played a great game,” Cortazzo said. "Hats off to those guys and their pitchers. They did a nice job.”

Both teams scored twice in the first inning, Franklin Regional on an RBI double by Bertucci and a run-scoring fielder’s choice by Brady Yarabinetz, and Penn-Trafford on an RBI single by Chuck Fontana and a bases-loaded walk to Carmen Metcalfe.

Franklin Regional took the lead for good on Cole Brinker’s run-scoring double to make it 3-2.

The Panthers added three runs in the fourth to pad their lead while Ramchandran and Bertucci danced around a bit of wildness on the mound.

"They came out and put up a number in the first inning, and NJ went out there and gave up two, but he never lost composure,” Franklin Regional coach Bobby Saddler said. "He came out and was able to throw four (innings), and then we felt very comfortable handing the ball off to Blake. He’s a bulldog on the mound, just as NJ is, and I just trust his stuff, and I trust the fielders. They made a great play at the end there, turning the double play.

"I just thought it was a very solid game for us on the mound, defensively and at the plate.”

Brinker and Chase Lemke added two hits apiece for Franklin Regional.

Brayden Stone went 2 for 4 to lead the Warriors, whose only other loss is an eight-inning, 4-3 decision to Fox Chapel on March 25.

Since then, Penn-Trafford had won 13 consecutive games before Monday’s loss.

"P-T has a helluva team. There’s no double about that,” Saddler said. "They’re where they are for a reason. They’ve got great pitching, hitting and fielding. They’re going to come out tomorrow, and they’re going to battle. We’re going to have to match their intensity. We’re going to have to come out and play another strong seven (innings).”

While he was praising Penn-Trafford’s exploits this season, Saddler turned an eye to his own players, who were gathering their equipment and preparing for the short ride home.

"I said of this group from Day 1, it’s a special group,” he said. "I believe they can do special things. We just have to play solid in all aspects, all phases of the game. I trust what we can do. We played a solid seven today.”

If Javascript is disabled browser, to place orders please visit the page where our photos are available to purchase.