The August Wilson African American Cultural Center recently held their annual Block Party event on April 27, 2024.

A family friendly affair where hundreds of community members gather for free to celebrate the birthday of August Wilson's birthday.

Food, vendors, and activities the entire family can enjoy. This year was particularly special because unlike block parties before, this year it didn't rain.

This increased the attendance rate.

The Trib took a moment to hear from a few community members that attended.

Shelley Stone (Hill District) said, "I attend the August Wilson Block Party annually. Rain or shine, but this year was special because it was beautiful to see neighbors and more come out to enjoy beautiful weather, festivities, and good eats."

"My favorite thing about the August Wilson Block Party is the resources. The amount of knowledge, education, and resources that are available is mind blowing. I don't think people know about most of them. I take the time to mingle and network and share the information with my tribe," Cecily Livingston (Homewood).

"The weather is beautiful! We couldn't of asked for better weather. Me and kids are having so much fun. I'm happy we were able to attend," Susan King (Hill District).

"People always say there isn't much to do in our communities. This Block Party needs to be added to their calendar. The Block Party is a vibe, rain or shine," Gwendolyn Sincere (Hill District).

This content has been submitted by authors outside of this publisher and is not its editorial product. It could contain opinions, facts, and points of view that have not been reviewed or accepted by the publisher.