Gateway School District teacher Emily Levine was presented the Roy A. Hunt Foundation Award on April 24 during a ceremony at The Frick Pittsburgh. Levine is the 25th educator to receive the honor. "Since 1999, The Frick Pittsburgh has annually recognized a teacher with the Roy A. Hunt Foundation Award for commitment to education in the arts and humanities,” said Kristin Garbarino, Frick director of marketing. "As an art and history museum, we believe deeply in the value of incorporating arts-based teaching into students’ learning,” Anyone can nominate a teacher by completing a form on Frick’s website. All submissions are reviewed by a panel of educators at Frick and an advisory group of independent teachers. "It’s an honor to be getting this award,” said Levine, who is a Gateway graduate. "I feel grateful to be able to represent our school.” Levine added the award was a surprise; she wasn’t aware that a colleague nominated her until she received an email that she’d won. The Hunt Award recipient is given $3,000 to be spent on educational experiences for students, along with passes for students and families to return to the Frick. Generally, the recipient and their students are invited for a tour the morning of the ceremony. Levine’s students were unable to attend, since the service coincided with PSSA testing. Her students instead sent cards to congratulate Levine and joined via Zoom. Levine has been a teacher for 20 years and has spent the last 18 years as a third grade teacher at Dr. Cleveland Stewart Jr. Elementary. Levine received her doctorate in curriculum and instruction in May 2013. Levine makes a point of bringing educational experiences not only to her class, but the entire school. Recently, she had a Holocaust survivor give a talk and has hosted the Humane Society representatives, several authors, illustrators and musicians, including Pittsburgh rapper Frzy. "I am relentless,” Levine said "And I think people want to be around children. Most guests are humbled and honored to be invited.” "On her own time, Emily works on getting us grants, starting fundraisers and helping us receive donations, so that our students can experience all types of different programs,” said first grade teacher Kassandra Poliziani. Levine helped to acquire a new playground with colorful benches through fundraisers and donations. "This list goes on, Poliziani added. "Emily is the rock of our school.” Levine also takes the students on numerous field trips, including Boyce Park, Byham Theater, the Frick Pittsburgh and the Children’s Museum. "I feel like arts and humanities can be approached in many different ways,” Levine said. "I like to think of the arts in a broader spectrum.” "Before I had my own kids, the students were my kids,” said the now mother of two. "But they are still my kids. I want them to see these things that they may not have experienced otherwise.” Frick Pittsburgh is located at 7227 Reynolds St. in Pittsburgh’s Point Breeze neighborhood. For additional information on Frick or the Roy A. Hunt Award, email info@thefrickpittsburgh.org. Leslie Savisky is a Tribune-Review contributing writer. Remove the ads from your TribLIVE reading experience but still support the journalists who create the content with TribLIVE Ad-Free. Get Ad-Free >