Writers from across southwestern Pennsylvania will take part in an author expo May 18 at the Mt. Pleasant Public Library.

It will be from noon to 3 p.m at the library, 120 S. Church St.

Library Director Sarah Buzzard said she was inspired to organize the event after meeting a local publisher, Linda Harkcom of Starlit Waters Publishing.

“It’s something I’ve wanted to do for a few years now, and the connection I made with Linda and Starlit was the exact thing I needed to have the confidence to put something like this together,” Buzzard said.

There are 17 authors signed up for the literary showcase, across a wide variety of genres.

“I’ve been a writer since grade school, but it was only when the pandemic hit that I became an officially published author,” said J.V. Hilliard of Pittsburgh, who has published three medieval fantasy novels in his “Warminster” series. “Writing is pretty solitary, but it’s nice when I’m able to discuss things with readers or other writers.”

Penn Township author Leslie Savisky also will be at the expo.

“When you’re an independent author, it’s kind of like being a small local business,” said Savisky. “We don’t have a publishing company advocating or doing PR work for us. It’s a way to promote my books and get my name out there.”

The first 10 children to arrive and sign up for expo activities will also receive a copy of Harkcom’s children’s activity book.

“It’s designed to help encourage and release the creativity in young children by bringing out the artist and writer within them,” Harkcom said. “It was inspired by author Jack Wessel, who will be reading one of his children’s books.”

Books donated by the authors will be given away as door prizes. Additional chances for the door prizes will be sold, with proceeds benefiting library programs. There is no cost to attend.

Here is the schedule of speakers:

• 12:35 p.m.: J.V. Hilliard on writing the fantasy “Warminster” series

• 1 p.m.: Amanda and Shannon Reamer, reading of “Can You Tell Me” (children’s area)

• 1:05 p.m.: Mark Hofman on his experience as a journalist and humorist

• 1:30 p.m.: Jack Wessel, reading of “Carol and Zane” (children’s area)

• 1:35 p.m.: Robin Acton on drawing in readers through scene setting and character development

• 2 p.m.: Kids’ craft (children’s area)

• 2:05 p.m.: Don Ammon on his transition from novel writing to screenwriting

• 2:35 p.m.: Linda Harkcom on different ways to publish your work

For more, see MountPleasantLibrary.org or call 724-547-3850.

• 3:05 p.m.: Closing remarks

Patrick Varine is a TribLive reporter covering Delmont, Export and Murrysville. He is a Western Pennsylvania native and joined the Trib in 2010 after working as a reporter and editor with the former Dover Post Co. in Delaware. He can be reached at pvarine@triblive.com.