It’s been three years since Olivia Grace opened her Merle Norman Cosmetics store in the old Isaly’s building in Tarentum, helping to spark momentum for Corbet Street redevelopment.

Now the Highlands graduate is taking another leap — she’s moving her growing business to Oakmont, where she hopes to capitalize on the swell of foot traffic there.

“We have a boutique as well, and that’s taking off,” she said. “We needed a bigger space, and I feel like there’s a lot more people shopping along Allegheny River Boulevard.”

Grace’s departure leaves a vacant storefront along the Corbet Street corridor, but Tarentum officials are confident they can retain a strong commercial district.

“The borough is proactive in maintaining an environment conducive to business growth and retention,” Borough Manager Dwight Boddorf said.

Council recently launched a business facade improvement grant program through which owners can land money to enhance aesthetics.

“This not only helps businesses upgrade their exteriors but also improves the overall visual appeal of our town, making it more inviting to customers and potential new businesses alike,” Boddorf said.

Tarentum also recognizes the importance of direct engagement with the business community, Boddorf said, “which is why we regularly hold business advisory luncheons.”

The meetings serve as a platform for business owners to voice their needs and concerns, and for the borough to share updates on policies or community projects that may affect them.

“This open line of communication ensures that businesses are heard and active participants in shaping the economic landscape of Tarentum,” Boddorf said.

Grace’s surprise notice hit social media last weekend.

“It’s been so hard keeping this secret since February,” she wrote on Facebook. “I want to say a giant thank you to my hometown and all my awesome customers for allowing me to grow my business.”

The Tarentum location will close May 18.

Merle Norman and Olivia Grace and Co. Boutique will open June 1 in Oakmont in an empty storefront previously occupied by Castle Toys and Games. That store closed after five years when the owners retired at the end of last year.

Grace said the new boutique, almost double the size, will boast an expanded line of clothing, shoes, graphic tees and jewelry.

Sizes are all-inclusive. She also offers online shopping through an app and website.

“Tarentum helped me grow a lot, and I’m thankful,” she said. “But I’m excited to go to a bigger space.”

Part of the business incubation for Grace and others has been community-oriented events such as Tarentum Night Markets. The monthly festivals kick off May 9 with vendors, music and food trucks to draw visitors to town.

“These events foster a sense of community and belonging, which is essential for creating an environment where businesses want to stay and grow,” Boddorf said. “The departure of any business is taken seriously. While it is a loss, it also provides us with valuable insights into areas where we can improve and adapt our strategies.

“The measures we have in place are designed to retain businesses and attract new ones, contributing to a dynamic and robust economic environment in Tarentum.”

Tawnya Panizzi is a TribLive reporter. She joined the Trib in 1997. She can be reached at tpanizzi@triblive.com.