The postseason accolades have been pouring in for Bethel Park superstar athlete Ryan Petras.

As a junior shortstop in 2024, Petras recently was named the Trib HSSN Class 5A Baseball Player of the Year.

Petras overcame a wrist injury to hit .452 (33 for 73) this spring with one home run, 27 runs scored, 17 RBIs and 20 stolen bases. He had a .565 on-base percentage, .575 slugging percentage and 1.141 OPS.

Bethel Park coach Pat Zehnder had plenty to say about his high-profile infielder.

"Ryan is an impressive young man,” Zehnder said. "He has excelled in three different sports — baseball, football and winter track — while maintaining over a 4.0 GPA. He trains outside of school in addition to all his in-school sport training while also studying and working on things for his numerous honors and AP classes.

"He also earns some money working and is involved in kids’ camps and other co-curricular activities — all while still making time for family and friends. He handles it with a positive attitude and rarely seems overwhelmed or tired. I think he’d actually go crazy if he had nothing to do, but I try to remind him to go be a kid from time to time.”

Petras was one of the WPIAL’s top defensive shortstops in 2024 with a .973 fielding percentage while playing home games on the natural surface of Purkey Field.

"Ryan has put a lot of time into improving his defense even though he was already a plus defender,” Zehnder said. "He has really improved his rhythm and step work to attack the baseball and get the hops he wants. His arm strength has also improved, enabling him to make plays in the hole that only he has the agility to get to. He can be an elite defender at the next level.

"Ryan is an important leader for the team. Both his talent and his experience as an infielder and outfielder help him know where everyone should be on a given play, which helps his positioning and pre-pitch communication.”

In the WPIAL Class 5A championship game at Wild Things Park in Washington, Petras was 1 for 2 with two walks and a run scored in the Black Hawks’ 4-3 loss to Penn-Trafford.

Bethel Park’s starting lineup in the WPIAL final consisted of senior Ryan Tierney (CF), Petras (SS), junior Ethan Stanhoff (C), sophomore Mike Bruckner (3B), junior Ryan Walsh (LF), junior Dylan Paul (DH), junior Noah LeJeune (1B), senior Santino Diulus (P) and junior Jack Bruckner (RF). Kaden Flambard, a senior, played second base.

Petras was the team’s leadoff hitter last year and moved second in the batting order in 2024.

"I think we really came around as a team,” said Petras, who previously played center field. "The first couple weeks of the season were slow, but the team really developed. This is a special group; it is a tight family.

"My goal for every year is just to try to grow as a player and ultimately help the team in any way possible. I believe I achieved that this year.”

Petras (IF), Tierney (OF), Stanhoff (C) and Diulus (P) were first-team all-section selections this year. LeJeune (IF) and Jack Bruckner (OF) were named to the second team.

The 5-foot-10, 177-pound Petras also was selected as a Trib HSSN Player of the Week in early April.

"Ryan’s teammates selected him as a captain this year as a junior, which says all it needs to about his leadership,” Zehnder said. "He always carries himself professionally, and his consistent demeanor combined with his competitive drive makes him an ideal leader.

"It really helps the entire program when one of your best players is also one of the best humans and hardest workers on the team.”

A three-year varsity player, Petras batted .427 with a .549 slugging percentage and .495 on-base percentage as a sophomore. He led the club in stolen bases (19) and runs scored (26).

Bethel Park has won two PIAA baseball championships and two WPIAL runner-up trophies over the last three years.

"Ryan continues to be our main catalyst with his bat, on the basepaths and defensively,” Zehnder said. "He has been one of the best players in the state and does it with a quiet confidence that I really respect.”

Petras committed to continue his baseball career at Northwestern but has also drawn college football offers, including from some Ivy League schools.

"Ryan is still verbally committed to Northwestern,” Zehnder said. "Rightfully so, he is fielding offers in other sports due to his great athleticism and performance. Ryan is a great athlete and any school would be lucky to get him on campus for any sport, but he is a baseball player in my eyes.”

Last fall, Petras led the Bethel Park football team in receiving (52 catches, 734 yards) and scoring (12 touchdowns) and ranked second in rushing.

A wide receiver/defensive back, Petras accounted for 1,143 total yards and averaged 14.1 yards per catches on the season.

He also ran for 409 yards and three TDs, averaging 7.5 yards per rushing attempt.

"I thought it was a great season, and we learned many lessons, and I’m just looking forward to coming back stronger,” Petras said. "I feel like we will be an improved team with all the seniors we (will) have. I think we have a great chance to win the conference and even the WPIAL championship.”

Petras also led the Black Hawks in receiving as a sophomore, reeling in 44 passes for 578 yards (13.1 average) and scoring 17 touchdowns.

Petras ranked second in rushing in 2022 with 610 yards on the ground, giving him 1,188 total offensive yards that season. For his efforts, he was named co-player of the year in the conference and was an all-state selection.

He was an all-conference pick at an "at large” position in 2023.

Bethel Park’s baseball team ended up ninth in the final Trib 10 power rankings for 2024 with a 16-8 record.

The Black Hawks won the Section 2-5A title with a 7-3 record, ahead of South Fayette (6-4), Connellsville (5-5), Trinity (5-5), Peters Township (4-6) and Upper St. Clair (3-7).

If Javascript is disabled browser, to place orders please visit the page where our photos are available to purchase.