Entering his third season with the Pittsburgh Steelers, Pat Meyer likes the blend of youth and experience he has among his offensive linemen.

“It’s nice to have a mixture,” Meyer said. “If you have veteran lines, they get old fast. If you have too many young guys, there is nobody to learn from.”

The Steelers experienced both sides of the coin before Meyer’s arrival as offensive line coach in 2022. In a two-year span, the line lost four established members: Maurkice Pouncey, Ramon Foster, Alejandro Villanueva and David DeCastro. That turnover led to the Steelers turning to three rookies or first-year starters in 2021.

The position has stabilized in recent years thanks to an influx of free-agent signings and high draft picks.

“We have a few seasoned veterans, mid-year guys and then we have several younger guys,” Meyer said during the team’s mandatory minicamp. “It’s a good thing to have.”

And Meyer is thankful he can count on Isaac Seumalo to be the leader of the group. Although he has no personal accolades on his resume, the 30-year-old left guard has appeared in two Super Bowls, earning one championship ring. His departure from Philadelphia after the 2022 season prompted perennial All-Pro center Jason Kelce to declare the Eagles were losing the “smartest player” he had known and that the Steelers were “getting a steal.”

As Meyer prepares for his second season with Seumalo on the Steelers roster, the coach couldn’t agree more.

Asked what the ninth-year veteran means to the line, Meyer said, “The same things he’s meant since Day 1. He’s another coach on the field. He’s very knowledgeable. The way he approaches the game is as good as anyone I’ve ever been around not just schematically but technically.”

Seumalo is entering the second year of a three-year, $24 million deal he signed in March 2023. His signing wasn’t unexpected considering Steelers assistant general manager Andy Weidl knew Seumalo from their time together in Philadelphia.

The tradeoff in signing Seumalo was the Steelers eventually traded Kevin Dotson, who emerged as one of the NFL’s top run blockers last year with the Los Angeles Rams. The Steelers, though, aren’t complaining.

In his first season with the Steelers, Seumalo didn’t allow a sack, permitted just five quarterback hits and was penalized once in 1,104 snaps. Pro Football Focus recently named Seumalo as the Steelers’ most underrated player.

Seumalo started all 17 games last season for the second year in a row, and he appeared in his 10th career postseason game. No other lineman on the Steelers roster has suited up for more than two.

“It’s the little things he does,” rookie center Zach Frazier said. “It’s the way he moves. You can tell it’s a different speed he plays with. I try to watch him and learn as much as I can.”

Seumalo served as a mentor last season to rookie tackle Broderick Jones, who initially lined up next to Seumalo on the line before switching to right tackle. This year, with the Steelers drafting a trio of offensive linemen — tackle Troy Fautanu, Frazier and guard Mason McCormick — Seumalo seemingly has spent as much time tutoring as he has blocking.

“It’s great to have a guy like that,” Frazier said. “It’s good to watch him because of how good he is to pick up on the way he works and practices. He’s played a lot of football and has seen a lot of things.”

Like Seumalo, Fautanu comes from a Polynesian background. Perhaps that is why Seumalo readily gave his phone number to Fautanu when the rookie visited the Steelers in April for a predraft workout. Fautanu admittedly was surprised given that Seumalo casts a menacing presence in the locker room with his 6-foot-4, 303-pound frame and long, flowing hair that he tries — unsuccessfully — to keep tucked under his helmet.

“I only ask him questions when I feel it’s OK to ask him questions,” Fautanu said. “He’s been awesome, though. He’s always giving me little tidbits. Whether he knows it or not, I’m watching his daily habits and seeing what he does just to pick up things to put into my daily routine.”

For a man who is largely seen but rarely heard in the locker room after practices, Seumalo has been willing to impart his wisdom on the new additions to the Steelers line.

“They are super coachable and, obviously, super talented,” Seumalo said. “All they want to do is learn and get better. That’s great because that’s what we are all here to do.”

Seumalo makes a point not to cross any boundaries with the rookies, particularly Fautanu, the first-round pick who is playing right tackle after manning the left side in college.

“He gets coached so much,” Seumalo said. “I try to help where I can. I don’t want to push. I think these rookies to a certain degree want to find and earn their own keep. I’ll help here and there.”

Meyer, for one, is glad to have someone of Seumalo’s pedigree anchoring the Steelers line.

“A guy like that,” Meyer said, “makes me a better coach, and he makes our room such a better room.”

Joe Rutter is a TribLive reporter who has covered the Pittsburgh Steelers since the 2016 season. A graduate of Greensburg Salem High School and Point Park, he is in his fifth decade covering sports for the Trib. He can be reached at jrutter@triblive.com.