In a divisive political atmosphere both locally and nationally, Democrat Davon Magwood is proud to be running a race against incumbent state Rep. Jill Cooper that puts negativity aside.

“I love that we’re running campaigns where we’re not attacking one another,” said Magwood, 38, of New Kensington, who has worked as a chef and performed as a stand-up comic. “I don’t have anything against Jill. We just have different ideas.”

Magwood is a first-time political candidate who earned a spot on the Democratic ballot through write-in votes in the primary.

He is challenging Cooper in the 55th District, which includes Arnold, Avonmore, Bell Township, Delmont, Export, Loyalhanna, Murrysville, New Alexandria, New Kensington, Oklahoma, Salem, Upper Burrell, Washington and portions of Derry Township and Lower Burrell.

Magwood said state government needs to invest in local infrastructure.

“I’d really like to double down on what Gov. Shapiro has talked about when it comes to, what can we do to bring people to this area?” Magwood said. “New Ken’s not as well-off as other places in the district, but we have wonderful local businesses. We have waterfront access and warehouses. We need to find ways to bring funds to places like this for revitalization — and ways to bring people to Westmoreland and check out our mom-and-pop shops.”

Cooper, 62, of Murrysville, who won a contested Republican primary against current Murrysville Councilwoman Jamie Lingg, said energy is among her top priorities.

“It impacts the cost of goods,” she said. “We have a wealth of energy in Pennsylvania and should be able to use that — open up pathways to make it more available and reduce the overall cost of energy. That can help not just the state but the nation when it comes to being energy-independent.”

Cooper also advocated for boosting the local economy from the state level.

“Over the past two years, I’ve been able to secure grants for things like water and sewer projects. We just got a $400,000 grant for the Murrysville library to expand its programs,” she said. “That goes all the way down to an apartment building I visited in New Kensington, where a woman didn’t realize she was eligible for a $600 rent rebate.

“Being engaged with the community is important, which is why I try to do a lot of town halls and events. The more we’re out there, the more we can meet people and impact our constituents.”

Magwood said the November election is about the future.

“I don’t think families can take many more years of not much happening with economic opportunity,” he said. “And we need to address all of the district. Murrysville is doing well, but Avonmore is struggling to get its public library funded. I’m passionate about these things because they’re my ‘lived experience.’ ”

Cooper said she thinks she can continue to add value to her current role in a second term.

“I feel like I can connect our communities more with grant opportunities, reach out to even more constituents and make sure they’re aware of the services available to help them,” she said.