At first, Ariana Caltagarone wasn’t sure if she wanted to take on painting a 459-square-foot mural on the wall leading up to the Springdale Free Public Library.

The library had requested proposals for a mural, and her mom, Melissa, encouraged her to apply. But the 16-year-old from Springdale Township had never undertaken an art project that big.

But skepticism soon turned to confidence and Caltagarone drafted her design on an iPad. Library officials fell in love with it.

“I think it’s so cool to be able to express yourself,” she said.

Caltagarone began work on the mural mid-July and, so far, has put about 50 to 60 hours into painting the wall.

It features many Springdale-area “Easter eggs” and personal touches. Among them are world-renowned environmentalist and Springdale native Rachel Carson reading her book “Silent Spring,” a Springdale High School band member, and athletes on the Lower Valley Little League and Harmar Soccer Club. Caltagarone has been a member of the Harmar Soccer Club since she was 5.

“I wanted to add people from our community to make it more personable,” she said.

The mural also honors Caltagarone’s classmate Damya Yungwirth in her basketball jersey, who died this summer after battling brain cancer.

Caltagarone estimated she has about five to 10 hours of work left on the mural.

Ultimately, it will depict a book opening up to the library and all of the different Springdale- related things in it — a “scene of our community,” she said.

Caltagarone hopes to have the mural completed by the end of the month, but recognizes the challenge because she is involved in many extracurricular activities.

She is a member of the Springdale soccer team — which is aiming for a long playoff run — and tennis team, as well as the school’s National Honor Society, history and ski clubs, prom committee and spring musical. She also serves as president of the junior class.

Art is something Caltagarone has enjoyed for as long as she can remember.

In addition to the Springdale mural, she has a chalk art mural at Las Hachas in New Kensington. She completed that mural when she was 13.

Her first recognizable figure drawing, according to her mother, was a ghost she drew around Halloween when she was 17 months old.

“I’ve loved doing art since I was little,” Caltagarone said.

Caltagarone said she is grateful for the opportunity to leave her mark at the Springdale library and is thankful for the community’s support. When she’s painting, she said people driving down School Street often will stop and share words of encouragement and support.

“I’m very proud that she’s given back to the community in this kind of way,” mom Melissa Caltagarone said. “I think it’s important for kids to have that sense of, ‘This is where I’m from,’ and be proud of that.

“I’m extremely proud she’s taken it on to make our community a better place in her own way.”