Fox Chapel Police have a new community relations tool inspired by a Walt Disney movie.

The department recently acquired a 1970 Volkswagen Beetle, a model commonly referred to as a Bug.

Sgt. Craig Sorg, 58, said he has loved that kind of car for years ever since seeing “The Love Bug,” a Disney film featuring a 1963 Volkswagen Beetle called Herbie.

Herbie, which inspired several movies and a very short-lived Disney sitcom, had a mind of its own and was a force to be reckoned with in auto racing contests.

“I think they’re a fun car,” said Sorg, who owned three Beetles as personal cars. “They’re relatively inexpensive to repair and easy to work on, which is a plus. I think that kids will go to it and be attracted to it because I’m going to take this car to our churches and schools in Fox Chapel and have an experience with it. It will be at all the community events that we do.”

The department’s bug is a black coupe with a four-cylinder manual transmission, about 104,120 miles and a top speed of about 90 mph. Sorg found the car via Facebook after searching several online market places and visiting local dealerships. Sorg said it was purchased from a man in Covington, near the Pennsylvania/New York border, a few days before Christmas.

“It took me four hours to go there,” he said. “It was a long drive, but it was well worth it. There are those cars for sale around here, but their prices were crazy or they were in horrible shape. This one looked good, and it’s hard when you try to buy a car by pictures being a 52-year-old car, you’re worried about rust and everything, but it’s in good shape.”

The seller, who wished to remain anonymous, sold it for $4,100. Sorg said the seller dropped the price by $1,000 after being told it would be used as a community vehicle by a police department.

The car was paid for via fundraising efforts throughout the past year. Sirens, lights, decals and other bells and whistles have yet to be installed. Sorg said he estimates about $8,000 is necessary to complete the look. One possibility is to put a mustache on the hood and find a way to make it open and close like the vehicle talks.

“I have kind of a vision of what I want the car to look like,” he said. “It’s all based on funding. We’re looking for any donations.

“This will not be an active patrol car. It won’t be used for police functions like investigations or routine patrols. It will strictly be out there for the community to see and enjoy.”

Sorg said he is grateful to have the support of the department and the borough for this project.

“I think it will be a great tool in reaching the community,” police Chief Michael Stevens said.

Mayor Alex Scott III sees the car as way for police to connect with residents outside of emergencies.

“I think for the last year or two, the police have been trying to figure out ways to improve community relations, get more contact with the people in the borough,” Scott said. “We don’t have a business center. We don’t have a place for people to congregate. I think their idea is this will be a way to help relations with the community, for families for kids to see (police in a different light). It will attract attention, I think.”

The car will be at the police department’s open house at the station from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Feb. 11.

People can make checks out to Fox Chapel Borough and specify ‘community event’ in the memo line if they wish to contribute to the project. Donations can be mailed to the borough office at 401 Fox Chapel Road, Pittsburgh, PA 15238.

Michael DiVittorio is a Tribune-Review staff writer. You can contact Michael at 412-871-2367, mdivittorio@triblive.com or via Twitter .