Old is new again at a staple Italian restaurant in Sharpsburg.

Ranucci’s Trattoria is the newest restaurant in the borough, but customers who frequent the former CC’s Cafe Italian Cuisine can expect to enjoy the same neighborhood hospitality they’ve enjoyed since CC’s opened in 1995.

Owner/chef Robert Volpe of the South Hills is fulfilling his lifelong goal of owning his own Italian eatery.

And he’s only 23.

“I just love the restaurant industry, and I love my dad’s place so much I want to bring my family’s recipes to Ranucci’s,” Volpe said.

Volpe is a fourth-generation Italian with family roots in Southern Italy’s Abruzzo and Calabria regions.

His father, Jerry, owns Bado’s Cucina in Peters Township. The younger Volpe scoured real estate listings to find a location for his restaurant.

“I’m using all of the great-grandmom’s recipes. Her maiden name is Annette Ranucci so that’s why I chose the name,” Volpe said.

Volpe recalled rolling out pasta with Ranucci when he was a youngster.

Her recipes, all top-secret, Volpe said, can be found on the menu, along with some of CC’s favorite entrees.

“I’m here to provide authentic Italian cuisine,” Volpe said.

7763904_web1_ptr-ranuccis-092524-7
Courtesy of Ranucci’s Trattoria
A rack of lamb at Ranucci’s Trattoria in Sharpsburg.

The signature meal is the homemade meatballs.

The homemade cavatelli is another must-try.

It’s served in a creamy pancetta and sage sauce.

“Cooking for me brings happiness. And when people say they love my food, it makes me happy. That’s why Im in the game,” Volpe said.

Volpe’s great-grandparents immigrated to New Castle from Italy.

Volpe leased CC’s building in April and is still in the process of obtaining a new website domain. He has been operating under the CC’s name during the transition period.

7763904_web1_ptr-ranuccis-092524
Joyce Hanz | TribLive
Ranucci’s Trattoria recently opened at 2218 Main St. in Sharpsburg.

The restaurant can accommodate about 80 patrons and includes a separate bar area.

The setting is intimate yet casual and features bistro-style dining.

The Allegheny County permit process is underway, and Volpe hopes to replace CC’s sign outside in October.

“The owners were looking to sell, and they’re relocating to Florida,” Volpe said.

Frank Stumpo serves as manager and is a childhood friend of Volpe.

“I’ll jump in wherever needed,” Stumpo said.

Stumpo lives in Dormont and graduated from La Roche University with a degree in marketing in May.

“We’re just really trying to the word out that it’s new ownership,” Stumpo said.

7763904_web1_ptr-ranuccis-092524-3
Joyce Hanz | TribLive
Ranucci’s Trattoria in Sharpsburg serves a selection of Italian wines.

Upgrading the wine selection was a priority. Among the Italian selections are Giusti Valpolicella Ripasso Classico Superiore ($69) and Poderi Langhe Nebbiolo ($59), as well as wines by the glass.

“We’re elevating the food so we needed the wine list to match the food,” Stumpo said.

Volpe graduated from Keystone Oaks High School in 2020.

He said he left an unfulfilling job working for an HVAC contractor because he “wasn’t loving it.”

“I wanted to do something that doesn’t feel like work,” he said.

Volpe fell back on his childhood lessons learned from Bado’s and his dad.

“I’ve worked there as long as I can remember,” Volpe said of learning the food and beverage ropes from his father. “I learned a ton from him, and he left accounting to open a restaurant.”

The CC’s veal, butternut squash ravioli and parmesan-seared scallops are three entrees that remain.

“It’s good because the clientele that have been coming into CC’s say it’s good and that it hasn’t changed because I kept some of the signature menu items,” Volpe said.

His grandmother, Linda Volpe, is a frequent customer.

“She loves it. She wanted to cry when I told her I was naming it,” Volpe said.

Reservations are strongly recommended.

Address: Ranucci’s Trattoria, 2218 Main St., Sharpsburg

Hours: 4 p.m. to midnight Wednesdays through Fridays; 5 p.m. to midnight Saturdays; closed Sundays through Tuesdays

Phone: 412-784-8338

Joyce Hanz is a native of Charleston, S.C. and is a features reporter covering the Pittsburgh region. She majored in media arts and graduated from the University of South Carolina. She can be reached at jhanz@triblive.com

Ranucci's Trattoria
Hours: 4 p.m.-midnight Wednesdays-Fridays, 5 p.m.-midnight Saturdays, closed Sundays-Tuesdays
Phone: 412-784-8338