A familiar face has returned to Sharpsburg Council to serve a familiar role.

David Breingan was appointed to fill the seat vacated by Kayla Portis, who served as its vice president and was named the borough’s new mayor earlier this month.

Council voted 6-0 on July 25 to accept Portis’ resignation and voted 4-2 later at that meeting to have Breingan serve the remaining year and a half of Portis’ term.

Councilmen Jonathan Jaso and Corey Ochai dissented. Both said after the meeting that they favored other candidates, but they said Breingan will be a great addition to the team.

Breingan would have to run in next spring’s primary election if he wants to keep the seat.

“I’m just glad to support the community again and help out through a moment of transition,” Breingan said. “I’m really looking forward to continue to dig in on housing affordability. Making sure that all our neighbors can continue to call Sharpsburg home.

“I want to continue to work on expanding our tree canopy and work on our flooding issues.”

Been here before

Breingan, 35, was appointed to council in June 2023 to fill a seat vacated by Councilwoman Carrie Tongram.

A Democrat, Tongram was in the second year of a four-year term.

The seat was placed on the November ballot as a two-year term and won by Ochai.

In the six months Breingan served, the Lawrenceville United executive director was instrumental in acquiring free trees from TreeVitalize for Clay Street, reviewed and introduced amendments to the borough’s zoning code and spearheaded an ordinance protecting tenants seeking safe housing conditions from landlord retaliation.

The ordinance, which passed in January, prohibits landlords from terminating or refusing to renew a lease or to amend any term or condition of an existing lease in response to the tenant or any member of the tenant’s household engaging in lawful activities such as organizing and participating in a tenants’ association.

He also created a 23-page memo on the state of housing affordability in the borough, with recommendations on how to address emerging challenges.

Breingan touted his accomplishments and desire to do more when council members asked candidates what have they done to better the borough.

Selection process

Breingan, who also works as a youth program consultant and community organizer, was selected out of three candidates.

Others vying for the position were former borough junior councilman Roman Mason, 19, and talent acquisition manager Christopher Cavlovich, 30.

All three were asked the same questions by council members, including why they wanted the seat, what are the Sharpsburg’s biggest challenges and would you continue to help the borough if not appointed.

Cavlovich said he felt inspired to help his hometown following the resignation of former Mayor Brittany Reno in June. He was among the potential mayoral replacements along with Portis.

Cavlovich said the council vacancy gave him another opportunity to get involved with future development and decision-making. The mayor does not vote unless there is a tie.

Jaso, who nominated Cavlovich for mayor at the previous council meeting, hoped to bring him on council.

Mason, a Duquesne University student, leaned in on his junior council experience and expressed the need to do more for Sharpsburg’s youths.

He talked about revitalizing the parks and other recreational sites.

Ochai had high praise for Mason after the meeting.

“He may not be on council here, but I think (Washington) D.C. needs to be looking at that young man,” Ochai said. “I really believe that. Without a doubt in my mind, that man is going to be someone making the history books.”

Councilwoman Sarah Ishman, who made the motion last year to appoint Breingan, once again was successful with her nomination.

“Dave’s experience in affordable housing and his time on council (set him apart),” Ishman said. “He’s written more ordinances than you would expect in six months. He brings a lot of experience, and he continues to do work for Sharpsburg whether he is on council or not.”

Council President Adrianne Laing said Breingan was a great asset while on council and she is exited to work with him again.

Portis echoed those comments about her replacement.

“I look forward to working with you in this capacity,” Portis said via Zoom during the meeting. She also thanked the other candidates for their efforts.

Council is expected to reorganize and select its new vice president at its Aug. 22 meeting.

Michael DiVittorio is a TribLive reporter covering general news in Western Pennsylvania, with a penchant for festivals and food. He can be reached at mdivittorio@triblive.com.