STATE COLLEGE — The news is mostly good concerning Penn State’s wide receiver room with the Nittany Lions a little more than two weeks away from their season opener at West Virginia.

Mostly.

Coach James Franklin singled out the play of a couple of fourth-year wideouts following the team’s practice on Tuesday night.

The erratic play of the receiver room was a major 2023 storyline. Penn State produced 30 touchdowns through the air last season, but wideouts accounted for just 10 total scores.

But Franklin, one prominent defensive assistant and some players have been impressed with the development of Harrison “Trey” Wallace and Liam Clifford.

The duo combined for 32 receptions, 358 yards and one touchdown a year ago. Clifford is the younger brother of former Penn State quarterback Sean Clifford.

“I think the biggest thing is Trey and Liam have really had a nice camp,” Franklin said. “Whether it’s the coaches or whether it’s defensive players or whether it’s (defensive coordinator) Tom Allen in the team meeting today talking about the receivers’ improvement and specifically, Trey and Liam, I think it’s pretty good.

“They’ve been probably the biggest difference.”

Last week, Penn State third-year safety Kevin Winston Jr., the team’s leading tackler last year, praised Wallace for his work on the practice field.

Franklin also said true freshman wideout Peter Gonzalez, a prep standout at Central Catholic, will miss significant time with an undisclosed injury.

“Peter has got a long-term injury, not short-term, I guess I would describe it,” Franklin said. “He’ll be out for a little bit.”