Despite concern among residents, Hampton likely will be seeing two new residential developments in the near future.

During the regular council meeting on July 24, members approved both the Frey-Cain Preliminary Planned Residential Development and Four Seasons Final Subdivision/Land Development.

The Frey-Cain development is planned for South Pioneer Road. It is projected to contain 11 duplex units, one single-family complex and a stormwater management facility.

The latter development is at 2361 Banks School Road, the former site of the Four Seasons Banquet Facility. A 14-lot subdivision with a new road, stormwater management improvements and landscaping on the lot is the overall goal for the project.

The Frey-Cain project created worries among residents of South Pioneer Road, including Janet McCall, who gave testimony at a previous public hearing.

“I still oppose the development. I have very serious concerns,” McCall said at the most recent council meeting. “I think it’s poorly designed. I don’t think it’s human-friendly.”

McCall emphasized the proximity of the development to the Pennsylvania Turnpike. She addressed issues such as asthma attacks and hearing loss that have arisen in people who live within 100 meters of a highway.

A 2019 study by the National Institutes of Health and University of California, Merced, suggeste that children living near major roads are at higher risk for developmental delays. A children’s healthy study published in the New England Journal of Medicine ascertained that air pollution in an area raises the risk of children developing asthma and reduces lung growth.

“Hampton is so excellent in so many areas. As we look forward, let’s think about how we can have better developments that match the standard of this community,” McCall said.

Flooding was also among her concerns.

Adam Motchenbaugh, project engineer, explained the plan for stormwater management, sharing that there is a 20% reduction that is required. This will come to fruition with the aid of two stormwater ponds and trench drains on the front of the driveways to capture runoff.

There have been ongoing discussions occurring since the project was initially submitted on Dec. 5, according to Amanda Lukas, township land use administrator.

“I’ve had many conversations with our legal counsel and engineers. I believe at this point, they have proven that it is a feasible concept,” Lukas told council prior to the vote. “I feel very comfortable recommending an approval to you tonight.”

In other council business, Rob Horvat, said that progress is being made on upgrades to the Allison Park Sewage Treatment Plant, and the plan is to be finished by deadline.

“You’re in a room and it looks like they have a lot done. You come back a few days later and it’s like, wow. They’ve got a lot more done,” Horvat said.

View council meeting videos at https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL45wMV46N7eFudvNrxzlYHjeCC8OjAnGl.