When he was considering an offer from the Pittsburgh Penguins as an unrestricted free agent this summer, Boko Imama did some scouting.

And he got a pretty good report from a friend in P.O Joseph.

The former Penguins’ defenseman — who left Pittsburgh as a free agent in July — offered a strong review of the organization.

“During his whole time here, he always spoke highly of Pittsburgh and how great of an organization it was,” Imama said Tuesday morning in Cranberry. “To see it for myself, it’s very awesome.”

Imama is slated to see his first action as a member of the Penguins on Tuesday evening for a preseason game against the Buffalo Sabres.

Signed to a one-year, two-way contract worth $775,000, Imama is expected to fill a pretty obvious role with the organization.

At least, it’s obvious to anyone who looked at his statistics last season.

As a member of the Belleville Senators — the Ottawa Senators’ American Hockey League (AHL) affiliate — Imama played in 53 games and racked up 115 penalty minutes as well as 10 points (three goals, seven assists).

Imama, whose full first name is Bokondji, is a physical entity and a pretty fierce fighter. Last season, he bested Hartford Wolfpack enforcer Matt Rempe, a player who became a cult hero as a fighter in Manhattan when he was recalled to the New York Rangers.

“Obviously, I love to play physical,” Imama said. “I can do great things on both sides of the ice. Obviously, when things get chippy, I take it on my shoulders to come in and protect my teammates.”

The 28-year-old Imama (6-foot-1, 221 pounds) honed his craft with the Baie-Comeau Drakkar and Saint John Sea Dogs of the then-named Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.

“Starting (at the junior level), I was one of the biggest guys on the ice,” Imama said. “After hits, guys would challenge me. I’m not the type to back down. So I would just take on the challenge, and having success through the fights kind of gave me that reputation, gave me that name. Now, it’s something that I embrace doing for my teammates.”

Imama also embraces being one of the relatively few people of his heritage in professional hockey. While he was born in Montreal, his parents — father Bokondji Sr. and mother Kumbia — each immigrated there from the Democratic Republic of Congo.

He finds pride in being one of the limited number of Black players in the professional ranks.

“My dad tried to remind me, the best he can, pretty much every day how special it is for him to just see the family name on (an) NHL jersey,” Imama said. “It means a lot. I just try to do my best to make him proud, make everyone proud.”

Imama points to a Canadian icon who briefly played for the Penguins in 2013 as a leading example for players of his heritage.

“There’s many players, but for me, I think it was more Jarome Iginla,” Imama said. “He just did everything. Scored big goals, was a big player. He was fighting, too. Was a physical guy. He has an African background as well. For sure, he was someone that I looked up to.”

Given that Imama has all of 15 NHL games — with the Senators and Arizona Coyotes — in his seven seasons as a professional, it’s likely Imama will only be summoned to the Penguins’ roster in the event they encounter a team with another physical presence in the lineup.

Regardless of the circumstances, Imama professes to be ready when called upon.

“That’s something that I really take pride in,” Imama said. “For me, it’s just leading by example, showing up to work every day, having the right work ethic and having people joining.”

Notes: Penguins defenseman Erik Karlsson skated before practice Tuesday. He has yet to be a full participant in training camp because of an undisclosed injury. … Penguins goaltender Tristan Jarry rejoined the team for a practice session after being excused Monday for a previously scheduled medical appointment.

Seth Rorabaugh is a TribLive reporter covering the Pittsburgh Penguins. A North Huntingdon native, he joined the Trib in 2019 and has covered the Penguins since 2007. He can be reached at srorabaugh@triblive.com.