Whether it was the thrill of riding the Thunderbolt roller coaster or the tasty treat of gobbling down Potato Patch french fries, many area residents can recall favorite moments of their childhood spent at Kennywood Park near Pittsburgh.

Rick Sebak, longtime producer of documentaries for WQED and PBS, will revive thoughts of those carefree times May 5 when he presents one of his most popular programs, “Kennywood Memories,” in the Greater Latrobe Senior High Auditorium.

The program will begin at 1 p.m., followed by a question-and-answer session with Sebak.

Tickets cost $25 for general admission, $40 for a VIP option that includes a meet-and-greet session with Sebak.

All proceeds will benefit the nonprofit Greater Latrobe Partners in Education Foundation, which raises funds to enhance educational opportunities for district students.

Andrew Lazarchik, appointed to the foundation board in September, graduated from Greater Latrobe in 1995. He took the lead in organizing the event and will serve as master of ceremonies.

“I’ve been a big fan of his forever,” Lazarchik said of Sebak. “I got to know him in about 2016, by attending his shows and through Facebook.”

Through his business, Wildcat Championship Belts, Lazarchik has created title belts for clients including the WWE franchise, the “America’s Got Talent” TV show and the Nathan’s Famous Hot Dog Eating Contest. He created a special version as a gift for Sebak.

“He’s a champion of Pittsburgh in my eyes,” said Lazarchik,” so I made him a Pittsburgh championship belt and presented it to him at one of his shows.”

A native of Bethel Park in the South Hills, Sebak graduated from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and began his career in public television working for the South Carolina Educational TV Network. Answering a want ad in a trade publication, he landed back in Pittsburgh at WQED, where he has been producing programs since 1987.

“Kennywood Memories” is one of the programs included in his Pittsburgh History Series of documentaries. In 2023, he started a regionally-themed podcast called “Gumbands.”

Lazarchik’s childhood memories of trips to Kennywood include testing his skills in midway-style games. He usually returns annually to the park with his children, Jeremy, 15, and Sophia, 12.

“My son won the milk bottle game,” Lazarchik said. “I played that game 100 times and never won it.”

Tickets for the May 5 program are available by searching “Rick Sebak Latrobe” at Eventbrite.com.

Jeff Himler is a TribLive reporter covering Greater Latrobe, Ligonier Valley, Mt. Pleasant Area and Derry Area school districts and their communities. He also reports on transportation issues. A journalist for more than three decades, he enjoys delving into local history. He can be reached at jhimler@triblive.com.