With music pulsing, bats swinging and gloves at the ready, it was a busy morning of baseball at Gateway High School. For the youth in attendance, it was an opportunity to take part in an event that does not come around too often.

Pirates third baseman Ke’Bryan Hayes hosted a ProCamps for first through eighth graders Monday in Monroeville. Campers at this one-day event had the opportunity to meet Hayes and learn some of the skills that helped him reach the major leagues.

To Hayes, the ability to impact the community by passing on his knowledge to the younger generation is why he hosted the event.

“My dad (former MLB player Charlie Hayes) has a baseball facility that I always grew up going to when I was around these kids’ age, and I mean these kids are really some of the motivation on why we play,” Hayes said. “Just showing them that I’m just like them and really just no matter who you are, one day you can be like me and play in the major leagues.”

Campers participated in various drills and exercises that focused on improving their technique. Waiting for the right pitch while batting and keeping the glove out front while fielding were a couple of the tips Hayes and coaches from around the area demonstrated to attendees.

“At the end of the day, people wouldn’t think, but a lot of times even for (major leaguers) the biggest thing is just working on the fundamentals,” Hayes said.

Hayes said his circumstances growing up were beyond fortunate and that having the benefits of his youth made him a Gold Glove-winning third baseman. He wanted to emphasize that flashy defensive plays do not necessarily make you a major leaguer.

“Passed down to me, (from) my dad and my older brothers, it’s just really getting really good at the fundamentals, and then whenever you make like a crazy play of something, that’s just a bonus,” Hayes said.

In addition to drills, the young athletes participated in a variety of competitions and games, which helped foster a lighthearted atmosphere and kept the event fun for all of the attendees.

Following the ProCamps event, Hayes and six of his campers went to the Monroeville Dick’s Sporting Goods. The six young athletes are members of the Shadyside Boys & Girls Club, and each received a $150 gift card to spend on sporting goods.

Dick’s Sporting Goods was the presenting sponsor of both events.

“We believe that sports change lives,” said Maureen Lawrence, Dick’s Sporting Goods’ community marketing manager. “To have kids be able to come into the store and go on a shopping spree with one of their favorite athletes is one of those really impactful moments that, you know, is going to be something that these kids remember for their entire lives.”

The shopping spree brought smiles to the kids’ faces, and seeing their happiness caused Hayes to grin, too. Knowing the impact this had on kids who needed baseball equipment to play, Hayes underscored its importance.

“Baseball equipment is not the cheapest thing in the world,” Hayes said. “So, for those kids, it’s kind of like an early Christmas for them. … I know one of my favorite things getting as a young kid was a new pair of batting gloves, or some new cleats, or a new bat, so I was excited to see their faces whenever they found out that they were gonna get to go shopping.”

Matthew Purucker is a TribLive staff writer. You can reach Matthew at mpurucker@triblive.com.