Jenene Caramielo knew that when she sang Celine Dion’s “Power of Love” for her eighth-grade Carson Middle School talent show that performing was what she wanted to do for the rest of her life.

So it’s no surprise to see the 1999 North Allegheny graduate gracing stages across the country, in venues from Feinstein’s 54 Below in New York City to the Royal Room in Palm Beach, Fla., and even the White House.

Caramielo, a professional vocalist and entertainer, recently performed at The Strand in Zelienople with “Celebrating Celine.”

Her singing career began as a young child when her parents enrolled her in “a lot of voice, dance and acting classes,” including Act One Theatre School, she said.

And when she did the Dion number for her middle school talent show, that was it for her.

“I wore a purple flowing gown and started singing from the back of the auditorium. When I got to the front of the stage, that was the most significant moment, where I realized that I wanted to dedicate my life to performing,” Caramielo said.

While at North Allegheny, she was in both the choir and jazz choir with now-retired high school choral director Ernie Pontiere, as well as participating in some of the school musicals.

Caramielo studied classical voice at the Civic Light Opera in Pittsburgh and Carnegie Mellon University, and graduated with a bachelor of fine arts in musical theater from Shenandoah Conservatory Arts Academy in Virginia, according to her online biography.

She also loves performing musical theater and acting.

The McCandless native is particularly grateful to Karen Cordaro, founder of Act One Theatre School in Bellevue, who really believed in Caramielo and gave the confidence and inspiration she needed to pursue her dreams, she said.

White House and beyond

Her career has since taken her all over the country. One of her most treasured moments was performing at the Governor’s Ball at the White House, calling it “pretty surreal.”

“My husband and I received a private tour of the White House, (and) we ate dinner in the China Room. I had the privilege of being backed up by an orchestra made up of members of ‘The President’s Own’ United States Marine Band for the entire show,” she said.

Her finale was accompanied by a joint chorus made up of members from the U.S. Navy band Sea Chanters and the U.S. Air Force band Singing Sergeants.

Her career includes being a headliner on luxury cruise ships, early work in regional theater musicals such as “The Music Man” and “Fiddler on the Roof,” and participating in opera workshops.

But now she is focused on performing her own signature shows. The first was in 2013, titled “The Best of Broadway Pop,” and previous shows include “Broadway to the Big Screen” and the recent “Celebrating Celine.”

“Icons & Divas” is her newest, featuring a variety of music for audience members of all ages.

“The great thing about having my own shows is that I can be as creative as I want, mixing genres. And there are no rules. I can tell personal stories, as opposed to scripted ones,” she said.

Whichever artist’s music she likes to perform depends on the day, but the list is long

“Whether it is a song by Celine, Whitney (Houston), Adele, Shania Twain or Renée Fleming, I love them all and love the audience’s reaction to the variety. It keeps it exciting for me, as well,” Caramielo said.

In regard to matching the vocal ranges of Dion and Houston, she said it’s not about imitation.

“Personally, I think Celine and Whitney are of the top female artists for pure vocal talent, and it’s their incredible talent that literally became my inspiration from when I was a child to this day,” she explained. “I never try to imitate them or any artists, but simply do my absolute best to present their music to my audience in the best possible way I can.”

Booking for next year

Caramielo has performed with the band Chicago and opened for the Beach Boys. She entertains various clients, celebrities and world leaders at private events, and some of the most exclusive country clubs in the United States, according to her online biography.

She now lives in Palm Beach Gardens, Fla., with her husband and two rescue dogs.

Her mother, who lives in Gibsonia, remains to be her biggest fan. In fact, both her parents were very supportive when she was young.

“When I told them I wanted to go for musical theater in college but I needed a backup plan, they said, no, I don’t. They didn’t want me to depend on it,” she recalled.

Caramielo would love to perform somewhere like the Byham Theatre in Pittsburgh. Her manager, Mitch Wentworth, said many of the new places she’s performed have been so successful that they’re already booking her for next year.

The chance to connect with the audience really does it for her.

“What makes me happy is taking an hour and hour half to transport someone out of the craziness of life,” she said.

Performing in Pittsburgh is always at the top of her list, and she shared what she misses most about the Steel City.

“The people, the people and the people. After all of my travels to around 70-plus countries and almost every state in the USA, I can honestly say the nicest people were right here in my hometown of Pittsburgh,” she said.

Visit www.jenene.com to see her schedule.

Natalie Beneviat is a Trib Total Media contributing writer.