The America’s Mile on Friday evening on the North Shore was a new take on an annual summer running tradition.

But while the name changed — it formerly was the Fleet Feet Liberty Mile — and the location moved from the Cultural District Downtown to a finish line in the shadow of Acrisure Stadium, the mission of event organizers to give as many as possible a positive running experience remained the same.

The nearly 2,000 runners, ages 4 to 87, also had goals of running their fastest mile while having a good time among friends, family and a bevy of spectators cheering them on in the warm but otherwise pleasant early evening conditions.

Troy Schooley, the CEO of P3R, the engine behind many of Pittsburgh’s top road races throughout the year, was pleased with the spirit of competition in a festive atmosphere.

“It was such a beautiful evening to showcase our city,” Schooley said.

“We see all ages down here, along with a lot of family and friends who lined the course to support them. It was a picture-perfect night, and you just can’t get it any better than this with all ages and all abilities giving great efforts.”

The Elite runners — eight women and 10 men — highlighted and capped the 10 total divisions. An invitation-only division, the elite competitors were greeted by a throng of support as they sprinted to the finish-line tape.

American Clayton Murphy, a bronze medalist in the 800 meters at the 2016 Olympics, captured the men’s elite title in a close finish with a time of 4 minutes, 3 seconds, less than a second ahead of his closest competitors.

“It was a great race. It was fun,” Murphy said. “But it’s never easy.”

When did he start his kick to the finish?

“At the start of the race,” Murphy quipped.

“About halfway, I picked it up. I heard my coach yelling at about the 300 mark. I ran this (Liberty Mile) two years ago and was not nearly as successful. To come back and win it, it was fun.”

Murphy came in fresh off a season-best 800 meters at the Olympic Trials in Oregon.

Jessica McGorty, an Addison, N.Y., native, claimed the women’s elite title and was 10th among the overall elite field. She hit the finish tape in 4:40.

“That was a group of really talented women,” McGorty said. “I am a little winded, but it was great. I’ve been training down in North Carolina, so I was prepared (for the warm weather). It wasn’t too crazy. It was a little toasty, especially at the beginning.”

McGorty said her first race in Pittsburgh was one she will not soon forget.

“It’s been a great stay so far,” she said. “(The course) was great. There was a little bit of a hill in the beginning, but it was a pretty fun course to run.”

Each elite winner took home a top prize of $5,000. The total purse totaled $34,200 for the Elite, Unstoppable and Masters divisions.

Varsity prep runners ages 14 to 19 also had their chance to shine. Quaker Valley rising senior Clark LaLomia, 17, who fared well in several events at the WPIAL and PIAA championships in May, won the boys race in a time of 4:37, topping Allderdice rising senior William Tew by three seconds.

“I was running with my teammate Jonah the whole time,” LaLomia said.

“We just kind of came out here for a little fitness test. It was fun.”

Hallie Simmons, from Preston High School in Kingwood, W.Va., won the girls varsity prep race in a time of 5:22. She also was 18th in the overall group of 69 high school runners.

The America’s Mile featured divisions for all abilities, from the inclusive MOVE mile, to the Unstoppable mile, which is open to runners who can complete a mile in less than six minutes.

The Masters heat was for runners ages 40 and older.

Runners from 30 states and more than a dozen running clubs took part.

The inaugural Hero’s Mile honored military, first responders and healthcare workers with their own heat.

The flat point-to-point course started on River Avenue adjacent to the Veterans Bridge and ran towards Acrisure Stadium to the finish on West General Robinson Street.

“Many were running their first mile race, and it was special to see everyone cross the finish line, many with smiles on their faces,” Schooley said.

Michael Love is a TribLive reporter covering sports in the Alle-Kiski Valley and the eastern suburbs of Pittsburgh. A Clearfield native and a graduate of Westminster (Pa.), he joined the Trib in 2002 after spending five years at the Clearfield Progress. He can be reached at mlove@triblive.com.