A pair of former Norwin baseball players from the class of 2022 are changing college programs.

Both tested the waters of the NCAA transfer portal.

Ty Stecko, who began his college career at Mount St. Mary’s, recently announced a commitment to Eastern Michigan. The rising junior infielder leaves the Metro-Atlantic Conference for the Mid-American Conference.

Noah Czajkowski, meantime, an incoming junior pitcher, is leaving St. Bonaventure after two seasons.

Stecko hit .226/.352/.330 in 43 games last season with eight doubles, 18 runs scored, and 22 RBIs.

He has 23 career starts.

"The enthusiastic coaching staff showed great interest in helping me develop and excel as a player and are very innovative in their use of advanced technology and training,” Stecko said of Eastern Michigan. "I really connected with them and they conveyed their belief in me and my potential to make a big impact.”

The Eagles’ stadium and climate-controlled bubble and turf practice field were pleasing to Stecko.

"Plus, playing in the MAC and traveling south in the spring for multiple weeks to play elite competition was very appealing,” he said. "I really loved my teammates and thoroughly enjoyed my time at the Mount, and I’m thankful for my two years there. I believed it was time for me to broaden my horizons and pursue new growth as a student, player, and individual.”

Czajkowski, a righthander with 12 career starts and 27 appearances, went 4-6 last season with a 7.26 ERA. He struck out 48 in 53 1/3 innings.

"St Bonaventure has been very good to me, but I wanted to explore my worth and see if bigger schools may be interested,” he said. "I didn’t pitch a lot in high school, so I’m kind of a late bloomer. Things went really well down in Tampa last month and I felt it was time to bet on myself.”

With his sinker reaching 94 mph in the pen and his fastball clocking in around 92 mph, Czajkowski is showing velocity and control.

He said his phone has been "blowing up” since he announced his career move.

This summer, he is running a baseball camp for 8 year olds.

Bill Beckner Jr. is a TribLive reporter covering local sports in Westmoreland County. He can be reached at bbeckner@triblive.com.

If Javascript is disabled browser, to place orders please visit the page where our photos are available to purchase.