Rapper Jeezy — folks may remember him as Young Jeezy, which he was known as when he released his first major label album in 2005 — was in Pittsburgh on June 27, the same day as the first presidential debate.

The Grammy-nominated, Atlanta-proud rapper and one of the architects of trap music spoke about embracing adversity to propel forward. The event, courtesy of 1Hood Power and Brunch With A Black Man at 1 Hood’s Blaxk Box in Oakland, also discussed the impact that hip-hop has had on politics.

Attendees received a copy of Jeezy’s book “Adversity for Sale: Ya Gotta Believe,” written under his name, Jay Jenkins.

During the event, there was a screening of “Hip-Hop and the White House,” written and directed by author Jesse Washington and co-produced by Jeezy. The documentary screening was followed by a panel discussion with Washington and Jeezy, moderated by Jasiri X, founder and CEO of 1Hood, and later by Miracle Jones, director of advocacy and policy at 1Hood.

The programming is part of 1Hood’s “People, Politics, and Power” series, which aims to empower the Black and brown community to use their electoral power for liberation.

DJ QRX spun some of Jeezy’s hits during breaks between discussions and many attendees left feeling inspired.

“This was a great event, hearing his views on politics and how it changed his career in different ways — but how his career changed politics a little also — is just a deeper feeling of pride seeing your people involved in an arena where we really don’t feel like we gotta hand in most of the times,” said Marquis Collier, 27, of Beechview. “So voting, we at least gotta try to make a change.”

Jeezy’s career began in 2001 with the release of “Thuggin’ Under the Influence,” and in the same year, he also started the Street Dreamz Foundation, a nonprofit organization focused on giving back and creating equity in underserved communities, underscoring that when you get a platform it’s important to do something impactful with it.

“Whenever the elections come and they [a candidate] gets close, they always come to find the Black and brown people, because our vote counts and we mobilize … when you really think about it, when they get our vote nobody cares — they get into office and go on about their business,” Jeezy said.

“I wanted to showcase what hip-hop and the culture does for politics because we don’t need politics — politics need us,” he said.

Danika Gadsden from McKeesport said, “I feel the message was so powerful helping the community to understand the importance of politics in hip-hop. It also brings awareness to how you can use your voice through music.”

A top hit, “My President,” was recorded before former President Barack Obama won the 2008 election. “My president is Black, my Lambo’s blue” Jeezy rapped, almost foreshadowing what was to come. But Jeezy said during the interview with Jones it was more of a proclamation, before knowing exactly what would happen.

A turning point for Jeezy in his career, he explained during the interview, was when he was invited to a White House Correspondents’ dinner by former President Barack Obama but was denied entry by the Secret Service because of a drug dealing investigation.

“It was embarrassing but it propelled me forward,” Jeezy said. He urges folks to think about adversity as something they welcome because growth is on the other side of it.

“I welcome it, I think that any skill set that you become great in you have to be comfortable at failing, you have to take it in stride,” Jeezy said at the event.

When asked about hip-hop’s place in the 2024 election, Jeezy’s response was different than some attendees would have expected.

“Hip-hop has its own problems right now … ” he said.

Shaylah Brown is a TribLive reporter covering art, culture and communities of color. A New Jersey native, she joined the Trib in 2023. When she's not working, Shaylah dives into the worlds of art, wellness and the latest romance novels. She can be reached at sbrown@triblive.com.