Penn Hills Midget Football Association CEO James Bradley has seen plenty of action at Turner Friendship Park this summer. Bradley, who works to help maintain the football field in addition to other volunteer duties, has been amazed by the increased attendance at the park after a splash pad was installed this summer.

“I was almost ready to walk into the splash pad after painting the football field,” Bradley said. “I was quite surprised how much action the splash pad gets. There’s always families there.”

Bradley is pleased with the turnout for the Penn Hills Midget Football Association so far this season as well. The PHMFA has nearly 150 players and over 70 cheerleaders. Bradley said they had to cut off cheerleading signups because of the amount of people interested and they didn’t have the staff to support more.

The PHMFA has existed for nearly 80 years and has kids ranging from age 5 to 12. For football, the 5- and 6-year-olds play flag football and tackle starting at age 7.

The PHMFA has been willing to use new technology. The organization has a website and an app to keep players, parents and coaches informed about what is going on.

Bradley stepped down as president after last season. Joe Joiner took over the role, and Bradley said he is impressed with how he guided the ship.

“I’ve seen him out picking up tables and picking up flags,” Bradley said. “He’s doing a good job. I’ve seen it so many times when leadership changes and things go way downhill.”

Bradley would like to dedicate the field at Friendship Park to former PHFMA coach Mason Murray. Murray, who was a standout running back for Penn Hills High School, died last December after coaching there for more than 20 years.

Bradley also would like to make improvements to the bleachers surrounding the field. Despite wanting to be in more of a background role, Bradley wants to continue to take steps to try to improve the facilities and grow the program.

“I’ve been on the board for over 20 years,” Bradley said. “I was there when I was a kid, and I played for the program. My dad was involved heavily, and I paid attention. I learned a lot just watching. There’s so much you can do in football. Volunteering gives me a feeling of ownership.”

Josh Rizzo is a freelance writer.