Central Catholic’s Xxavier Thomas committed to play cornerback at Penn State next fall, hoping to follow in a long line of talented defensive backs playing at the next level.

The three-star defensive back, according to 247Sports, chose the Nittany Lions over an offer from Akron.

"It was mainly coach Terry (Smith) and the program that he’s built up there defensive back-wise. He’s got a really good reputation up there for putting DBs in the (NFL) with Penn State being on the rise,” said Thomas, who had 22 tackles and four interceptions as a junior. "I really wanted to be a part of that and get good hard coaching from coach Terry.”

Smith has recruited WPIAL defensive backs heavily in recent seasons, including Chartiers Valley grad Lamont Payne Jr., former Clairton star Lamont Wade, current Pittsburgh Steelers DB Joey Porter Jr. from North Allegheny and recent NFL draft pick Daequan Hardy from Penn Hills.

Thomas hopes to follow in their footsteps and those of his older brother, Indianapolis Colts free safety Rodney Thomas. Rodney Thomas played for the 2015 Central Catholic team that went 15-1 and won a state title with fellow NFL players such as Damar Hamlin and Cal Adomitis.

The brotherly love between Xxavier and Rodney has helped to develop younger brother Thomas’ game.

"He’s the best role model I could ever ask for, and I’m so thankful for him a lot,” Thomas said. "With him being in the NFL, it gives me that much more of a push to be my best for my teammates so I can get to where he’s at one day.”

Before he turns his focus to college and beyond, Thomas and his fellow seniors on the Central Catholic football team are striving to achieve something they haven’t been able to accomplish in their three-year tenure: winning a WPIAL championship.

Central Catholic went 10-2 last season, with a loss to Pine-Richland in the regular season and North Allegheny in the WPIAL championship game, a 44-41 heartbreaker.

Training has been key for Thomas and his teammates this offseason as they work to contend for a ninth WPIAL championship and first since 2020.

"The best part about it (practice) is definitely coming back together with my boys and trying to build that bond and brotherhood that we have always been talking about,” Thomas said.

Thomas hopes to make an even bigger impact this season on offense while seeing time at wide receiver.

"I gotta take a big part and role on the offense this year as well as the defensive side of the ball,” said Thomas, who also plays basketball and finished third in the WPIAL and 10th in the state in the long jump during track and field season.

But it’s clear which side of the ball he likes best.

"Honestly, for me, if I’m playing DB,” he said, "I like picking off the quarterback and going to get the INTs and the pick-6s.”

Xxavier Thomas

Central Catholic

Senior

WR/DB

5-foot-10, 160 pounds

Stars: 3 stars by 247Sports

Committed to: Penn State

2023 stats: 17 solo tackles, 5 assisted tackles, 4 interceptions

If Javascript is disabled browser, to place orders please visit the page where our photos are available to purchase.