The North Hills Regional Catholic Elementary Schools (NHRCES) Summer STEAM Camp recently wrapped up a successful summer season. It offered three exciting weeks of summer camp across two schools: Holy Cross Academy (HCA) in Ross Township and Blessed Francis Seelos Academy (BFSA) in Wexford. Launched initially as a Summer STEM Camp last year, this year's program expanded to include theater arts, transforming into the Summer STEAM Camp.

The camp featured three themes: Wet and Wild Adventures, A Summer of Discovery, and NHRCES STEAMworks Studio presents Lion King Kids. The highlight of the camps was the Lion King Kids production, presented on Friday, July 19, 2024, at BFSA. Directed by a BFSA and North Catholic High School alumnus, the production drew over 100 family members and friends.

Mary Narvett, director and a rising freshman at Slippery Rock University, double majoring in Strategic Communications and Theater Arts, and alumnus of Blessed Francis Seelos Academy, said, "I really enjoyed bringing theater into the Catholic school community. I think theater is really great for kids because it helps them embrace self-confidence, and I enjoyed giving back to my own Catholic school, Blessed Francis Seelos Academy."

Thirty campers participated, learning choreography, acting skills, and theater direction in just four and a half days. NHRCES Business Manager Vince Scalamogna conceived the idea for the camp in 2022, and it materialized last year with the NHRCES Summer STEM Camp. This year's expansion into STEAM saw participation from students of all eight NHRCES schools, Mars School District, North Allegheny School District, North Hills School District, and homeschooling programs, demonstrating the camp's strong community ties.

"The growth of this program from a simple idea to a vibrant, inclusive camp is a testament to our commitment to fostering faith, creativity, and learning through the collaboration of our schools and teachers.," said Mr. Scalamogna.

Looking ahead, the NHRCES plans to expand the theater program into a two"or three-week camp next year. Parents and campers alike have praised the camp for its impact and the fun it provides.

Stephanie Kirby, parent of a BFSA student, said of the program, "I was amazed at how well these kids learned their parts so quickly. I know my daughter had a ton of fun and can't wait to return next year. We can't wait to see what you guys have for next year!"

A rising fourth grader at BFSA, Katherine Haldeman, shared her excitement: "I liked this camp because it gave me time to act. It gave us all new experiences, choreography, and dancing, and we learned acting skills. It's all thanks to the teachers and the helpers all around."

Established in 2017, NHRCES is a school system comprising eight Catholic elementary schools: Blessed Francis Seelos Academy in Wexford, Blessed Trinity Academy in Glenshaw, Butler Catholic School in Butler, Holy Cross Academy in Ross Township, Holy Sepulcher School in Butler, Saint Kilian Catholic School in Cranberry Township, St. Gregory School in Zeilinople, and St. Wendelin School in Butler. The system is dedicated to providing a nurturing environment that promotes academic excellence in Catholicism and spiritual and social growth.

For more information about NHRCES and enrolling your family, please visit www.nhrces.org.

This content has been submitted by authors outside of this publisher and is not its editorial product. It could contain opinions, facts, and points of view that have not been reviewed or accepted by the publisher.