The late Sonny Westerman, founder of the Freeport International Baseball Invitational, must have been looking down at James E. Swartz Memorial Field in Freeport Borough on Thursday evening with a smile as pleasant weather and tradition brought out a large crowd for the annual Old Timers game that bears his name.

Though both teams, Old School and Average Joes, had their sights set on claiming victory — the game again was competitive with a blend of extra-effort miscues and top-flight plays — the event was about coming together and making the most of seven innings of relaxed camaraderie under the lights.

More than 30 took to the field for both teams.

Bill Murray, one of the older players in the game at 53, pitched the entire game last year, and he was right back on the bump this year delivering pitches for Average Joes with the same enthusiasm he had when he donned his Highlands uniform in the late 1980s.

“This is at least 10 for me in this game,” Murray said. “It’s hard to keep track. The love of the game, the guys, it all keeps me coming back and playing. I want to play in this game as long as I can. I’ve played against the guys from Freeport since I was in school. It’s just fun seeing everybody here. It’s about the old guys feeling young again for a night. I feel good. It’s just like riding a bike.”

Murray said he tries to stay in shape as best as possible to make the night not so difficult.

“Me and my buddy, Bobby, we get together and throw a little bit a couple of times before and also hit a little bit so we’re not coming out cold,” he said.

Donnie Vasey, a Valley graduate and pitching coach at Springdale, started on the mound for Average Joes before moving to catcher. It was the 48-year-old’s sixth Old Timers game.

“This is such a good time,” he said. “Being from Valley, I played against a lot of these guys. They are out here flashing some of what made them great players in high school. I like to keep coming out and putting my body through torture. I pitch a lot through the high school season, so my arm is in pretty good shape. Catching is more of a challenge now.”

Old School welcomed a newcomer, as Aussie Drop Bears manager Shane Dodd was invited to play.

The Drop Bears team members were scheduled to attend a Washington Wild Things game Thursday evening, but when they heard their coach was going to be playing in the game, those plans, he said, changed.

“They really wanted to see me play,” Dodd said. “I am honored to be able to play in this game.”

Ernie Westerman, a 1967 Freeport graduate, was the elder statesman of the Old Timers Game. While 2018 Leechburg graduate Alex Majocha, playing for Old School, was one of the youngest in the contest.

It was his third year playing in the game.

“I remembered coming here to watch this game when I was a kid, and it was so much fun,” Majocha said. “All the different ages, many with pretty cool baseball backgrounds, come together and just play baseball for a night. I was telling my buddy, I am just glad to get out, get right in the game (action), and have some fun. I don’t care if I play one inning or nine innings. It’s just fun to be out here with everyone.”

Before Thursday’s game, Ernie and Marilyn Westerman, eldest son and wife, respectively, of Sonny Westerman, presented the Mike Westerman Memorial Unsung Hero Award to 2009 Freeport graduate Chris Speer in honor of his support of the Freeport International through his work with scheduling umpires for many of the games played throughout the week.

“This is an honor,” Speer said. “There are guys who I’ve worked with throughout the years who have won it. There are so many people that put in a lot of hard work behind the scenes to make this week happen. I love the game of baseball, so this work is something that means so much to me.

“I grew up in Freeport and would come to all these games since I was little. There was some point early in my teenage years that I got into helping with (the Freeport International), and I’ve been here ever since.”

Chuck Sarver, Freeport International president, said the Old Timers Game was just another part of a special week of baseball festivities.

“We are so blessed to have the support we have throughout the week, and this (Old Timers) game is one of our biggest draws,” Sarver said. “I love to see local people playing the game they love, whether it’s the young kids or the older guys who have been here for a while. It’s about the love of the game.

“Then to have Mrs. Westerman, Ernie Westerman here; Buzzy Hoover, one of the original board members; and Darren King, the first manager of an Australian team here, it doesn’t get any better. Great weather makes this even more special.”

Michael Love is a TribLive reporter covering sports in the Alle-Kiski Valley and the eastern suburbs of Pittsburgh. A Clearfield native and a graduate of Westminster (Pa.), he joined the Trib in 2002 after spending five years at the Clearfield Progress. He can be reached at mlove@triblive.com.