Jared Triolo was missing his locker mate in the Pittsburgh Pirates clubhouse, but was quick to credit Rowdy Tellez for leaving a lasting impression on how to handle offensive struggles.

By going 3 for 4 with an RBI in the 7-2 loss to the Milwaukee Brewers on Tuesday night, Triolo had his fifth multi-hit game in September and seventh in the span of a month.

Triolo is batting .290/.347/.391 with a double, two home runs and eight RBIs in 20 games in September, and the 26-year-old infielder has enjoyed a resurgence while playing third base almost every day in the absence of 2023 NL Gold Glove winner Ke’Bryan Hayes.

“A little bit of both, probably,” Triolo said. “I think having more at-bats definitely helps and I also think being confident in your swing and going up there with some confidence helps.”

The Pirates designated Tellez for assignment, cutting ties with the veteran first baseman only four plate appearances shy of qualifying for a $200,000 performance bonus.

That move appeared to affect the morale of Pirates players, given that Tellez overcame a dreadful start of the season to become one of their more consistent hitters. Tellez batted .177 with one home run, eight RBIs and a .463 OPS through the end of May but was hitting .243/.299/.392 with 18 doubles, 13 home runs and 56 RBIs through 132 games.

“It means a lot,” Triolo said. “You watched Rowdy go through it at the beginning of the year and seeing how he went about it, believe it or not, helped pave the way. It was cool to see that and how he carried himself.”

A strong September is nothing new to Triolo, as he batted .350/.458/.567 with seven doubles, two home runs and five RBIs over his final 18 games last year. He’s hoping this one carries into a better beginning of the season.

Triolo won the starting job at second base in spring training and had multiple hits in four of his first 13 games before scuffling by going 12 for 84 (.143) from April 15-May 15, when his batting average bottomed out at .193. As Nick Gonzales took over the starting spot at second, Triolo moved into a utility role.

Although he spent much of the season hovering around the Mendoza Line, Triolo gradually boosted his slash line to where it is now: He’s batting .221/.304/.316 with 10 doubles, eight home runs and 43 RBIs through 120 games.

That showed Pirates manager Derek Shelton that Triolo could handle adversity.

“I think it just speaks to how strong he is mentally,” Shelton said. “I think the thing with ‘Tri’ is he never pouted. Young player, it could get him down. He didn’t. He stayed consistent, he continued to work, and I think because of it, I think we’re seeing a development of what we think can be a good offensive player.”

Shelton also said the Pirates are “extremely encouraged” by Triolo’s willingness to work with hitting coach Andy Haines and integrated performance coach Jonny Tucker to make an adjustment to his approach. Bringing his hands down has allowed Triolo to keep his bat upright so he can drive through the ball. Not only has it put him in a better position to make hard contact but the change has boosted Triolo’s confidence at the plate.

“Since the adjustment’s been made, I think we’ve really seen consistent at-bats,” Shelton said. “He’s hitting the ball harder. He’s driving the ball more. Overall, using the field. Sometimes it takes making a mechanical adjustment to be able to get there, and I think we’ve seen him make one and, because of it, he’s had really good at-bats. He’s had some of our best at-bats over the last month.”

Kevin Gorman is a TribLive reporter covering the Pirates. A Baldwin native and Penn State graduate, he joined the Trib in 1999 and has covered high school sports, Pitt football and basketball and was a sports columnist for 10 years. He can be reached at kgorman@triblive.com.