A man was acquitted Friday of supplying the fentanyl-laced heroin that killed a Unity man in 2021, but was convicted of other drug counts.

A Westmoreland County jury deliberated for about four hours before returning the split verdict against Andrey Young, 43. He was found not guilty of drug delivery resulting in death, the most serious charge against him.

He was convicted of possession with intent to deliver and drug and paraphernalia possession charges. He will be sentenced at a later date.

Prosecutors contended Young sold stamp bags labeled “Covid-19” to a man he was living with in Jeannette as an intermediary between he and Gerald Lentz Jr., 33.

Defense attorney Tim Dawson disputed that Young should be held responsible for the March 1, 2021, death of Lentz.

“I thought the verdict was fair, I was very satisfied with the … acquittal on the most serious charge,” Dawson said, adding that Young would have been facing a maximum sentence of 20 to 40 years in prison had he been convicted.

Attorneys wrapped up their cases Friday morning after testimony began Tuesday. Closing arguments were held in a darkened courtroom as power was out to part of Greensburg while crews repaired power lines on College Avenue after a tree fell on them, according to FirstEnergy spokesperson Todd Meyers.

In a statement, District Attorney Nicole Ziccarelli thanked Assistant District Attorney Adam Barr and Trooper Michael Thompson for their work on the case.

“While we were hoping for a conviction of drug delivery resulting in death, we are satisfied the jury found Mr. Young guilty of delivering narcotics and he will be held accountable,” she said.

During closing arguments, Dawson asked jurors to consider the credibility of two prosecution witnesses who lived at the Agnew Road apartment where Young was staying, including Stephen Piper, 33, of Jeannette. Prosecutors said Piper bought drugs from Young and gave some of them to Lentz.

Piper also is charged in the death. Dawson suggested Piper made inconsistent statements during his testimony.

“You are to judge demeanor in assessing believeability,” he argued.

Barr said the two witnesses admitted their past drug use and criminal histories while on the witness stand. In this type of case, that’s the kind of witness prosecutors have to rely on, he said.

“I know they’re unsavory, I know they’re not the greatest people,” he said.

But still, Barr asked jurors to consider their testimony and not put labels on the witnesses.

“These are the only people that are going to get us to the truth,” he said.

Dawson also questioned testimony that six stamp bags were found with Lentz, but Piper testified giving him four. Two of the bags found with Lentz had been used and four were unopened, according to testimony.

“Please don’t ignore the possibility that he got drugs from other sources,” Dawson argued.

Barr responded that memories may be shaky on specific number of stamp bags in question that day, as the death happened more than three years ago.

“I don’t think these people are going to remember every single detail from three years ago,” he argued.

Young has been held at the Westmoreland County Prison on bail since January 2022, according to court records.

Renatta Signorini is a TribLive reporter covering breaking news, crime, courts and Jeannette. She has been working at the Trib since 2005. She can be reached at rsignorini@triblive.com.