Penn State’s second and final bye week of the regular season follows a thrilling, come-from-behind win at Southern Cal that moved the Nittany Lions to 6-0 overall, 3-0 in the Big Ten.

After defeating the Trojans, 33-30, in overtime, Penn State earned a No. 3 national ranking and can rest up this week before a second straight away game Oct. 26 at Wisconsin (4-2, 2-1).

“I just think when you talk about the middle of the season, Game 6, it’s a good point to have a bye game,” coach James Franklin told reporters in State College this week. “Sometimes, you get a bye really early, sometimes you get a bye late and not the best position for the bye to land. But this is at a good point.”

The time off also offers Franklin an opportunity to assess his team halfway through the season and further prepare for the road ahead, which he, his assistants, players and the extended Penn State fan base hope will lead to the College Football Playoff.

Franklin leaned into the message he had for the Nittany Lions several weeks ago about continuing to improve.

Key for Franklin is the ability to do so before adversity hits and not afterwards as a belated reactive measure.

“Coming off a win, there’s good vibes, there’s good mojo,” he said. “We’ve got a chance to still learn and teach and grow after a win, which I think is a really important skill and tool for us all to learn. Like I talked about before, you shouldn’t need a setback to take a step forward, to have the maturity to work on the things that you need to improve on. So I think the staff is approaching it that way. I think the players are approaching it the right way.”

In particular, Franklin desires a full, clean 60-minute performance by his team offensively, defensively and on special teams.

Easier said than done.

Last weekend’s win over USC was certainly one to remember for the Nittany Lions, but the offense managed only six points in the first two quarters and trailed by 14 at halftime.

To pull off the victory, a Herculean second-half effort was required — individually by star tight end Tyler Warren, who caught 17 passes for 224 yards and a score, and collectively by Penn State on both sides of the ball.

First-year offensive coordinator Andy Kotelnicki continues to show no fear in utilizing Warren in a variety of ways.

“Having players like this that can do a lot of different things — and he’s one of your best players and one of the best players in college football — it helps,” Franklin said of Warren.

Generally speaking, Franklin could probably find room for critique on offense, given that unit’s first-half struggles and quarterback Drew Allar’s three interceptions on the day.

Defensively, the Nittany Lions stuffed the Trojans in overtime but allowed a 75-yard rushing touchdown on USC’s first play of the game and a season-high 409 yards.

Of all areas of Penn State’s game, Franklin may well be feeling the most secure at the moment on special teams, particularly with kicker Ryan Barker.

Barker, a redshirt freshman who took over field-goal duties ahead of the UCLA game Oct. 5 after Sander Sahaydak started the year just 2 for 5, has drilled all six kicks he’s attempted, with a long of 40 yards.

He accounted for 12 of Penn State’s points vs. USC, hitting four critical field goals, including the game-winner in overtime.

“We’ve done it at times, but we’ve got to put it all together — offense, defense, special teams, all starting strong,” Franklin said. “ … We’ve just got to do it, in at least two out of the three phases, in each game.”