Sewickley Heights police Chief James Harrison has been placed on administrative leave as the borough investigates alleged controversial communications.

In a letter sent to residents earlier this month, borough officials said they received an anonymous letter containing purported copies of the communications and had been made aware that several residents also received similar anonymous letters.

“The borough is committed to serving the public with professionalism, fairness and transparency,” the borough’s letter read. “This letter is to inform you that the borough has engaged an independent third party to investigate these anonymous allegations.”

The letter goes on to say the ranking officer-in-charge will ensure the department serves the community without interruption.

Harrison has been chief since 2017.

Borough Manager Nathan Briggs declined to comment on the investigation and could not say who was running the police department Feb. 12.

Solicitor Alex Farone via email Feb. 12 said there will be no further comment on the matter beyond the borough letter while the investigation is ongoing.

Council approved a new three-year contract with Harrison in October 2024.

His salary at the time was $132,177, according to the contract, which is set to expire at the end of 2027.

Under the collective bargaining agreement, the chief will receive a minimum annual salary increase “equal on a percentage basis to that received by full-time patrol officers.”

The contract does not numerically state the percentage.It does, however, state borough officials may provide an even greater unspecified salary increase than that percentage at their discretion.

The salary and contract information was obtained after TribLive submitted a Right-to-Know request on Oct. 28, 2024, following an initial refusal by borough officials to release the terms.