Murrysville native Sam Wasilak’s fascination with photography and architecture will come to life on the walls of the Monroeville Public Library beginning this week.

Now a Monroeville resident, Wasilak’s exhibit “Untitled Architecture,” sponsored by the Friends of the Monroeville Public Library, will kick off with a reception from 6 to 8 p.m. July 27 in the library’s Elaine Biondi Gallery Space.

Wasilak’s interest in photography began in her childhood, when technology was still developing. She spent a lot of time outside in nature, which is what compelled her to begin taking photographs.

She began by using a digital single lens reflex camera for her photographs, but now she uses a mirrorless camera.

“The quality is a lot better, and it changes the picture on the display as you adjust the settings. So it’s easier for me to make quick adjustments to my exposure,” Wasilak said. “For this show, I also included photographs I took on varying types of film, such as 35mm, medium format and large format.”

The stark contrast of small suburbia and the urban city sparked Wasilak’s interest in architecture. Her work consists of architecture in her hometown, which is a combination of abandoned structures and suburban style. It also consists of the more structured, stylistic architecture of Pittsburgh and beyond.

“I would say that I have an interest in architecture simply because of the way it is built and how it looks to us. I think it is very interesting that humans are able to build such tremendous structures,” Wasilak said. “I also enjoy the decay of those same structural elements. I enjoy examining how things that were once built to occupy have now become almost meaningless and devoid of human life.”

Wasilak earned her bachelor of fine arts in photography from Point Park University in April. She has spun forward her interest in architecture and she currently works as a real estate photographer for Pittsburgh and surrounding areas.

She resides with her boyfriend, Ethan. In addition to photography, she enjoys attending concerts and spending time with her parents’ dogs.

The reception and exhibit is open to the public; the library is located at 4000 Gateway Campus Blvd. Wasilak’s photographs will be on display through Aug. 26, and some of the pieces will be available for purchase.

Leslie Savisky is a Tribune-Review contributing writer.