Emily Milanovich cannot wait for the fall sports season to begin.

Milanovich will be a sophomore at Sewickley Academy in 2024-25 and looks forward to the opportunity to compete against other girls in the WPIAL this season.

The 15-year-old golfer competed as a freshman with the boys team last year, but Sewickley Academy has restored the girls golf program for 2024.

"It is a wonderful opportunity for our community,” Milanovich said. "I believe this because golf at Sewickley is a mainly male-dominated sport as they have a full varsity team and an overflowing junior varsity. We struggled to fill the lineup for the varsity girls (team) the past two seasons, so I hope a WPIAL season will draw in many more competitors.

"I’m very excited to have this opportunity to play on a WPIAL-certified girls golf team for the remainder of my high school career. I can’t wait for the season to begin. At Sewickley, our dedication to the sport will hopefully set a great example to the younger girls in our community. Golf is a sport that not only benefits us athletically, but in life overall. The integrity of golf teaches hard work and honesty, which align with the values of Sewickley Academy.”

Milanovich, who has been golfing seriously since she was 12, was the lone girl in the boys program in 2023.

The Panthers were coached by Seamus Coons last season. Sewickley’s boys team was led by co-captains Severin Harmon, Karan Kad and Nolan Donnelly last season.

Sewickley girls golf team will be coached by Kelly Beatty in 2024.

"Golfing with the Sewickley boys was overall stressful,” Milanovich said, "but it was a wonderful environment. It was somewhat stressful due to the tough competition from my teammates and opponents, but it turned me into a better player. I aspire to take all that I learned (in 2023) to the girls golf team for the fall season.

"I expect the girls team to start off a little rocky as we have many (new) golfers joining us, but I have faith in coach Beatty and my teammates that we will produce a very successful season.”

Playing golf has become second nature for Milanovich, who is a two-sport athlete at Sewickley. She also competed as a distance runner for the girls track team in the spring.

"I have been exposed to golf since primary school as my entire family participates (in golf),” Milanovich said. "Most of us can be found golfing at Seven Oaks Country Club, where we regularly participate in club tournaments.”

Sharing Milanovich’s passion for golf are her parents, Mike and Kristen, grandmother, Daniella, cousins Samantha (Milosh) Baldwin and George Milosh, aunt and uncle Milana and Larry Milosh, as well as numerous extended family members.

"My favorite part of playing golf is spending time working on all aspects of my game while enjoying the day with my family,” Milanovich said. "Days that I am not on the course I can be found at Ironwood golf range taking lessons from my uncle Larry. This summer, to prepare for my sophomore season I am playing golf almost every single day with my dad. The strongest part of my game at this moment is my short game. I love the challenge of trying to beat my dad in closest-to-the-pin.

"I also plan to play golf with my teammates, Olivia Busatto, Emma Quisenberry, Ashley Behling and Josie Whitcraft. We all work hard together to promote girls golf not only at Sewickley but throughout Beaver and Allegheny County.”

In track, Milanovich was a WPIAL last-chance meet qualifier in the 800- and 3,200-meter events this past spring. Competing in distance running only strengthened Milanovich’s endurance capabilities on the golf course.

"My freshman year of track was the first time I had ever tried running,” she said. "My coach, Zack Skrabski, was able to help me grow a love for the sport and he pushed me to my limits at every practice.

"This school year, I am going to focus mainly on golf, but I will also make time for track as to not disappoint my coaches or my teammates next season.”

If Javascript is disabled browser, to place orders please visit the page where our photos are available to purchase.