The Pittsburgh Pirates did more tinkering to their bullpen Monday ahead of a three-game series at PNC Park vs. the Cincinnati Reds, recalling righty Daulton Jefferies from Triple-A Indianapolis.

To make room, left-hander Justin Bruihl was optioned to the Indians.

Jefferies joins a Pirates bullpen that was tasked with pitching the entirety of two games over the weekend against the Colorado Rockies.

In total, the club’s relievers covered 21 1/3 innings in the series win.

“We needed an arm,” manager Derek Shelton said. “Two of three (games being) bullpen days in Colorado — our bullpen pitched really well. But we got taxed. … Our volume was high.”

Jefferies, 28, joins the Pirates for the second time this season. He was a brief call-up in late May for a doubleheader against the Detroit Tigers but did not not pitch.

He was acquired in May via a trade with the San Francisco Giants for outfielder Rodolfo Nolasco.

Two disastrous outings with the Giants, in which he allowed 13 runs (nine earned) in 4 2/3 innings, led to him being designated for assignment May 6, with the Pirates trading for him four days later.

Between nine appearances this year with the Indians and San Francisco’s Triple-A affiliate, the Las Vegas Aviators, Jefferies is 2-1 with a 4.85 ERA over nine appearances (seven starts).

Once a promising prospect for the Oakland Athletics, Jefferies was sidelined for all of 2022 and ‘23 after undergoing Tommy John surgery for the second time in his career.

Jefferies previously required the procedure in 2017 while pitching at the Single-A level.

Navigating through several major surgeries has stiffened Jefferies’ resolve.

“I’m not going anywhere,” Jefferies said. “I’ve had three surgeries. I’ve had two TJs and a (thoracic outlet syndrome surgery). I’m still either stupid enough to keep coming back or crazy enough. I’ll take the latter, but just super excited to be here and beyond blessed.”

Over parts of four MLB campaigns with the Athletics and Giants, Jefferies is 2-10 with a 6.64 ERA, 41 strikeouts and 16 walks in 61 innings.

Bruihl, a recent free-agent pickup by the Pirates, made six appearances for the club, going 0-0 with a 6.75 ERA, striking out four with a walk in 5 1/3 innings.

Notes: Shelton said pregame Monday that infielder/outfielder Ji Hwan Bae (right wrist sprain) is close to being cleared to begin a rehabilitation assignment. Bae is on the 10-day injured list retroactive to June 3. Catcher Henry Davis, on the seven-day concussion list since June 15, is being monitored day-to-day.

Justin Guerriero is a TribLive reporter covering the Penguins, Pirates and college sports. A Pittsburgh native, he is a Central Catholic and University of Colorado graduate. He joined the Trib in 2022 after covering the Colorado Buffaloes for Rivals and freelancing for the Denver Post. He can be reached at jguerriero@triblive.com.