When Kyle Nicolas switched from starter to reliever last season, Pittsburgh Pirates general manager Ben Cherington commented that the right-hander “looked like a different pitcher.”

Since getting shelled for six runs on three hits — including a grand slam — in his major league debut at the Chicago Cubs last Sept. 19, the numbers show that Nicolas has been a different pitcher.

Recalled from Triple-A Indianapolis on Friday, Nicolas hasn’t allowed a hit in two scoreless relief appearances for the Pirates. Over his past five appearances dating to last season, Nicolas has given up one run on four hits and four walks while recording 11 strikeouts.

It has been a dramatic turnaround for Nicolas, a former top-30 prospect who began the 2023 season as a starter for Double-A Altoona and ended it in the Pirates’ bullpen after being converted to a reliever while at Triple- A Indianapolis.

“It did a lot for me confidence-wise, being able to have some success at the Double-A level and get called up, go through a little struggle at Triple-A then have success and be rewarded for it and get called up,” Nicolas said. “The confidence is there. I’m just excited for the opportunity they’ve been giving me to compete for it and do the most with it.”

Nicolas didn’t make the Opening Day roster but got off to a good start in the minors, where he recorded an 0.84 ERA and 1.03 WHIP with one save in 10 2/3 innings over nine appearances. Opponents batted .061 against Nicolas, who had 13 strikeouts against nine walks.

The Pirates optioned sinker baller Ryder Ryan after Wednesday’s game against Milwaukee and recalled Nicolas for their West Coast trip to boost a bullpen that had been struggling.

Nicolas made his season debut in the eighth inning of Sunday’s 3-1 loss at the San Francisco Giants, throwing strikes on 10 of his 15 pitches while averaging 98.8 mph on his four-seam fastball and touching 99.4.

The 6-foot-4, 235-pounder got LaMonte Wade Jr. swinging at a 99.4-mph fastball, Matt Chapman looking at a called strike on a 98.7-mph four-seamer at the bottom of the strike zone and Michael Conforto to fly out to center.

The Pirates turned to Nicolas again in the eighth inning of Monday’s 5-1 loss at the Oakland A’s, where he wasn’t nearly as efficient but proved as effective. He threw 30 pitches (16 strikes) but had a pair of walks, Shea Langeliers in a nine-pitch at-bat and JJ Bleday on a full count, before recording strikeouts by getting Darell Hernaiz to chase a slider outside and Nick Allen swinging at a full-count fastball.

“I’m just trying to get outs. I know how to get outs,” Nicolas said. “Usually, I’m throwing my slider, my curveball and my fastball to get those outs.”

Given his experience as a starter and a four-pitch repertoire that includes a seldom-seen changeup, Nicolas is hoping to carve a role in the Pirates’ bullpen much the same way Carmen Mlodzinski did last season.

“I think I’m capable of being a middle guy or a late-inning guy,” Nicolas said. “I feel comfortable in any of those roles, especially with my past as a starter. Just last year I was a starter. My arm is still capable of being built up. I have the pitch arsenal to cover some innings, maybe more than just one time through the lineup if they need that. I think I can offer some versatility. I can be late-inning, early-inning, whatever.”

Kevin Gorman is a TribLive reporter covering the Pirates. A Baldwin native and Penn State graduate, he joined the Trib in 1999 and has covered high school sports, Pitt football and basketball and was a sports columnist for 10 years. He can be reached at kgorman@triblive.com.