When Lavinia Ivanica was young, she would sneak sips of her mom’s coffee.

“I was obsessed with coffee,” the Romania native said as she stood inside Delanie’s Coffee shop in Shadyside on Wednesday. “Where I grew up, they often drink Turkish coffee, which is strong and not for kids. My aunt would let me have some coffee with lots and lots of milk.”

That obsession has become a living dream for Ivanica, who with business partner Moss Clark opened a second shop on South Highland Avenue in Shadyside on Friday. The first location is on Pittsburgh’s South Side.

7727627_web1_ptr-delaniesopen-3
Delanie’s Coffee in Shadyside is located in the former Adda Coffee & Tea House on South Highland Avenue.

Located in the former Adda Coffee & Tea House, the new shop has been remodeled. It has quaint seating, Wi-Fi and plenty of natural light from lots of windows. The plan is to have some outdoor tables and chairs.

“I love this part of Shadyside with so many other businesses having outdoor seating and so many people walking by,” Ivanica said. “We are so excited to be part of this community. I want them to love us.”

Her passion for java comes from seeing coffee as more than a beverage. Coffee is a daily part of people’s lives, she said. It is a drink many people start their day off with and she wants to be the place they choose. She was at the Shadyside shop when the doors opened because she wanted to greet customers and talk to them about what coffee preferences they have and what appeals to this neighborhood.

“It is important to be present and care about the customers,” Ivanica said. “Anyone can make a cup of coffee. We have to do something different so our customers will have a good experience and come back. We are here to serve them.”

7727627_web1_ptr-delaniesopen-5
Courtesy of Lavinia Ivanica
A popcorn latte at Delanie’s Coffee shop in Shadyside.

When she and Clark found out a shop called Delanie’s on the South Side had closed during the 2020 pandemic, they inquired about it. They had been there for coffee in the past.

They visualized how to put their own touch on the place, which has always been a dream of Ivanica’s. She said during the pandemic she realized what was important in life and that included doing something she loves.

7727627_web1_ptr-delaniesopen-2
JoAnne Klimovich Harrop | TribLive
Delanie’s Coffee shop on Highland Avenue in Shadyside serves Onyx coffee from Fayetteville, Ark.

The shops serve coffee from Onyx in Arkansas. Ivanica said she wanted to bring something different to Pittsburgh and in her travels she found Onyx and loves the flavor. The shop will also serve juices and smoothies, breakfast and lunch sandwiches and other pastries.

A cup of drip coffee is $2.75. A cappuccino is $4.25.

The owners are looking for local artists to collaborate with and showcase their work in the shop. The art will add to the cool vibe they are trying to create, Ivanica said.

“A coffee shop is a daily ritual,” Ivanica said. “I love when I walk into a place and someone knows me and knows what I like to drink. It’s a familiar feeling. It’s hospitality. I have always been obsessed with coffee and I want our customers to feel something special about the cup of coffee they drink here and to feel comfortable.”

Delanie’s Coffee is located at 200 S. Highland Ave. in Shadyside.

Hours are 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Saturday and 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Sunday.

Details: delaniescoffee.com