Artists and writers took to social media to react to the death of Ed Piskor, the Munhall-based artist/writer of “Hip Hop Family Tree” and “X-Men: Grand Design,” who died Monday.

Piskor also co-created the YouTube channel Cartoonist Kayfabe alongside fellow Pittsburgh area artist Jim Rugg.

The Pittsburgh Cultural Trust recently postponed Piskor’s exhibition at 707 Penn Gallery after the arts organization said it learned of allegations of misconduct against Piskor. Last month, a woman alleged on Instagram that Piskor made advances on her in 2020 when she was 17. Piskor was not charged with a crime.

Gary Groth of Fantagraphics Books, which published Piskor’s “Hip Hop Family Tree” and “Red Room,” issued a statement to The Comics Journal.

“Ed was a giant personality in the cultish arena of comics, endlessly curious about the history and lore of comics, an infectious proselytizer on behalf of the medium that he loved so much, and a contributor himself to that history,” he said. “We had a warm personal and professional relationship and it was always fun to work with him. This is a terrible tragedy and I extend as much compassion as I’m capable of to his family, whose grief has to be unimaginable.”

Rob Liefeld, the co-creator of popular Marvel characters Deadpool and Cable, said Piskor “loved comics. I found his passion for comics to be sincere and inspiring.”

Artist Klaus Janson, renowned for his work on Marvel’s Daredevil, called Piskor’s death “a gut punch.”

Don Simpson, a Pittsburgh area writer/artist who received a doctorate at Pitt, said nobody should be opining on Piskor’s death.

Artist Ben Templesmith, known for the horror comic “30 Days of Night,” lamented the role that social media played, while artist J. Scott Campbell hoped for “real lessons learned” in the aftermath.

Animator/artist Scott Morse said he was “numb” on Monday.

Artist Ramon Villalobos, who had been named in a note Piskor posted to Facebook Monday (that’s since been turned private), shared his thoughts on the death.

Cartoonist Evan Dorkin, the creator of “Milk & Cheese,” also was named in Piskor’s note, which prompted a lengthy response on X. “Obviously my posts hurt Ed, he singled me out in his note. I hurt Ed. I am responsible for that hurt even if I stand by my criticism.”

Piskor, 41, is survived by his parents, three siblings and four nieces and nephews, according to an obituary.

Related

Munhall comic artist Ed Piskor dies following show's postponement amid controversy
Munhall comic book creator Ed Piskor launching horror title 'Red Room'
Pittsburgh comic artist Ed Piskor drawing new 'X-Men' series

Mike Palm is a TribLive digital producer who also writes music reviews and features. A Westmoreland County native, he joined the Trib in 2001, where he spent years on the sports copy desk, including serving as night sports editor. He has been with the multimedia staff since 2013. He can be reached at mpalm@triblive.com.