Outside linebacker Alex Highsmith took a step toward returning to game activity for the Pittsburgh Steelers following a three-game absence when he practiced fully Thursday.

It was Highsmith’s first full practice since he injured his groin and missed games against Indianapolis, Dallas and Las Vegas. He was a limited participant Wednesday.

With Highsmith on the verge of playing, the Steelers expect to have both of their starting outside linebackers in the lineup when they face the New York Jets on Sunday night at Acrisure Stadium.

Without Highsmith and with Nick Herbig missing the game last week at Las Vegas, the Steelers rotated three new players at the outside linebacker position opposite T.J. Watt.

“When you have another quality rusher, they have to account for both of them,” defensive coordinator Teryl Austin said about Highsmith’s potential return. “Those guys face that all the time. It doesn’t affect T.J. They always do things to take care of him. Now, that gives Alex some more opportunities. If it does, it gives them an extra guy in protection.

“We’ll see how much Alex is ready to do and if he’s able to do it.”

Highsmith had just one sack in three games at the time of his injury.

Watt returned to practice after receiving a veteran day of rest Wednesday. Defensive tackle Cameron Heyward, though, rested for the second day in a row, and Larry Ogunjobi was limited after not practicing Wednesday.

Tight end MyCole Pruitt (knee) practiced fully for the second day in a row, and guard Isaac Seumalo also returned to practice after getting a day off.

Three players continued to recover from injuries: Herbig, center Zach Frazier (ankle) and running back Cordarrelle Patterson (ankle).

Running back Najee Harris (ribs) was a full practice participant, and safety Damontae Kazee (ankle) was limited. Neither player practiced Wednesday.

An addition to the practice report was rookie wide receiver Roman Wilson, who was limited with a hamstring injury. Wilson is coming off his NFL debut when he played five snaps.

Time to Cook

Practicing for the first time this season was tackle Dylan Cook, who was cleared to return from a partial Lisfranc tear that had sidelined him since training camp. Cook was a limited participant.

Cook made the 53-man roster in 2023 as a backup tackle — he is capable of playing both sides — but he was not active for a game.

“This means everything,” Cook said. “It’s an injury where you’ve seen people go down for a whole season. I definitely would say I got lucky because I didn’t have to miss the whole year.”

The Steelers have 21 days to decide whether to activate Cook from injured reserve. It wouldn’t be surprising if Cook needs to use the entire three-week window to prep for a spot on the active roster.

“It was definitely going to take a minute no matter what position it is,” Cook said. “My position being more of a weight-bearing position, it’s different than being a receiver who has to sprint and stop and cut. It’s unique in that way.”